In our Must Do Things Around Greater Houston series, we take a look at Houston’s vast array of communities, neighborhoods and destinations to bring you five fun, tasty, surprising and enticing reasons you should give each one a visit. Originally published in 2016, we are now refreshing, updating, and adding to this series, including new neighborhoods and destinations.
Named for the pear trees abundant in the area in the 1890s, the third largest city in the Greater Houston area is growing more enticing by the day.
From some of the city’s best barbecue to an extraordinary temple, check out our five Pearland must-dos.
5 Must Do Things in Pearland
- Try the Peña’s Donut Burger at Peña’s Donut Heaven – You’ll want to see what all the buzz is about and get yourself a donut burger from this local donut shop & diner. That’s a griddled, greasy-in-a-good-way cheeseburger patty smashed between two glazed donuts, and the result is pure, glorious gluttony. You can also try creations like the Southern chicken and Texas brisket donuts, or go for good old-fashioned donuts, iced, glazed, and cream-filled. You’ll find all kinds of goodies at the family-owned spot and its other location.
- Sip suds at Bakfish Brewing Company – Opened in 2016 by a couple of good friends and rocking more than 2,000 square feet of air-conditioned taproom and covered patio, Bakfish is Pearland’s first microbrewery. Hit this family- and dog-friendly spot to taste beers like the All Y’all Texas Golden Ale and the Defying Gravity Double IPA, or grab cans and growlers to go. Be sure to look out for a lineup of pint nights, trivia and special events from yoga to Bingo. Click here for directions.
- Get the gold standard of ‘q at Killen’s Barbecue – Chef Ronnie Killen’s namesake smokery is widely regarded as Houston’s best barbecue, but you’ll have to try it and judge for yourself (fans of beef will want to check out Killen’s Steakhouse and Killen’s Burgers, too). Don’t be scared by the potential line, because one bite of the monster-sized beef ribs, flawlessly executed fat-melting brisket, and killer fried chicken will convince you it’s worth your time. Plus, there are free kegs tapped to “assist” with the longer waits over the weekends. Click here for directions.
- Feast your eyes on the Sri Meenakshi Temple – Inspired by the grand Meenakshi Temple in Madurai, India, this majestic temple dedicated to the Hindu goddess Meenakshi stands out from its surroundings. Take in the ornate marble carvings, soaring ceilings, and beautiful sacredness of the temple complex. The visuals will feed the mind and soul, but if you’re hungry, they also sell a mean vegetable samosa. Click here for directions.
- Dig into Vietnamese crawfish at LA Crawfish – The Asiatown staple (with multiple locations around town) has opened up a spot in Pearland. Hit it to get Cajun-Asian mudbugs soaked in garlic butter and spices alongside house favorites like crawfish pho, seafood po’ boys, and beignet. Click here for directions.
Social Distancing & COVID-19 Precautions
As we move further into the vaccination phase of the COVID-19 pandemic, medical experts still advise that we have a way to go before we achieve herd immunity and can safely fully resume prepandemic activities. In the meantime, you can continue familiar practices of wearing face masks indoors or in crowds, keeping social distance of at least six feet, and frequently using hand sanitizer or soap and water to keep your hands clean.
Most businesses are still requiring face masks to enter and enforcing reduced capacity. Familiarize with your destination’s policies ahead of time and please respect their safety precautions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).