Explore the best events in Houston this week with our picks for things to do with kids in and around Houston from Monday, May 10 through Sunday, May 16, 2021.
This week, take in awe-inspiring performances around town, celebrate the kick off to Summer in Galveston, indulge in the world’s largest strawberry shortcake, and more with our picks for kids and family events in Houston this week.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things for kids and families happening in Houston from Monday, May 10 to Sunday, May 16, 2021.
Top 10 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston
- Family Story Time & Craft at Levy Park | Tuesday, May 11 | FREE – Grab a blanket and spread out for a socially distanced story time reading, followed by a craft that accompanies the featured book. All craft supplies are included. 10am.
- Houston Art Car Experience by Day at The Orange Show | Friday, May 14 to Sunday, May 16 – Hit the five-acre campus of The Orange Show to explore 80 art cars, including both annual faves and some never-before-seen, while on a digital audio/visual tour using your smartphone. Stick around and enjoy crafts for kids, food and drink vendors, and more. $10. 10am to 5pm daily.
- 2021 Pasadena Strawberry Festival at Pasadena Fairgrounds | Friday, May 14 to Sunday, May 16 – The massive annual celebration of strawberries returns to Pasadena, complete with three days of live music, entertainment, the world’s largest strawberry shortcake, a mud volleyball tournament, a car show, carnival rides, a kids zone, a BBQ cook-off, a kids zone, and more. Tickets are $10; $5 for ages 5 to 12 and for ages 65+. $30 for a three-day weekend pass. Times vary.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Clippers at Toyota Center | Friday, May 14 – The Rockets’ final home game of the season arrives and the visiting Clippers, led by Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, will make for one last chance to catch basketball action before the end of the season. $29 to over $450, but you may find better or cheaper seats on the TicketNetwork marketplace. 8pm.
- Houston Grand Opera presents Marian’s Song at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, May 14 and Saturday, May 15 | FREE – HGO continues its return to live shows with two performances of its original, family-friendly commission based on the life of Marian Anderson, one of the most celebrated singers of the 20th century. Anderson broke racial barriers throughout her storied career and became the first Black singer to perform at the Metropolitan Opera in 1955. Free covered seating requires tickets, which can be reserved online. Seating on the hill is open and does not require tickets. 8pm both days.
- Free Train Rides at Zube Park in Hockley | Saturday, May 15 | FREE – Hop aboard for a free ride at this large scale model railroad that features three passenger trains hauling the young and young-at-heart along tracks through the Hockley public park. Operated by Houston Area Live Steamers, this event takes place monthly and on select Sundays. This event is wheelchair accessible. Free. 9am to 1pm.
- The Seuss Experience at George R. Brown Convention Center | Saturday, May 15 – Meet your favorite characters and tour through settings from nine of Dr. Seuss’ beloved, imaginative books come to life in a sensory spectacle at George R. Brown Convention Center in Downtown. $23; VIP tickets are $50 and allow entry at any time of the selected date purchased. Ages under 12 months are free. Times vary.
- Hangar Hang Out at CAF Houston Wing | Saturday, May 15 | FREE – The CAF Houston Wing Museum and Hangar is open on the first and third Saturday of each month, welcoming visitors to view its collection of World War II-era aircraft, as well as its unique memorabilia and artifacts. 10am to 3pm.
- 13th Annual Galveston Island Beach Revue | Saturday, May 15 – Hit the island for a sunny day filled with breath-taking beach views, cool hot rods, vendors, vintage dress, and more flashback celebrations when Galveston Historical Foundation presents their 13th Annual Galveston Island Beach Revue at Beach Central on Galveston Island. $5 for standing room only; $20 for a pod for two people; $40 for a pod for four. Tickets include access to the classic car show, food and vintage vendors, concessions, and more located throughout Beach Central. Noon to 7pm.
- Current Museum Exhibits & Art Installations in Houston | Ongoing | Some FREE – Across the Museum District and throughout the Greater Houston area, world-class museums and installations are offering up fascinating and engaging exhibitions that are ticketed or free. You can also dig into our Visitor’s Guides at several of Houston’s flagship museums, including The Museum of Fine Arts Houston (MFAH), Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS), The Health Museum, Holocaust Museum Houston, and more.
How to Get Vaccinated & Safely Lose the Mask
With the CDC’s announcement that most fully vaccinated people can go maskless indoors and out, many Houstonians are safely returning to normal life and activities.
The safest way to enjoy this and many other events around Houston is to get vaccinated from COVID-19 infection. Many vaccination sites across the city are allowing walk-ins, including at NRG Park and all Houston Health Department sites. Find the nearest site, including major pharmacies, by texting your ZIP code to GETVAX (438829) in English, or VACUNA (822862) in Spanish.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).