Make the most of your week with our top picks and things to do this week in Houston from Monday, May 3 to Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 9, 2021.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Let us know at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things happening in Houston from Monday, May 3 to Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 9, 2021.
Top 11 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Blue Willow Bookshop presents Oprah Winfrey & Dr. Bruce Perry Virtual Discussion on Zoom | Monday, May 3 | Virtual – Tune in to hear from the one and only Oprah with Dr. Bruce Perry as they discuss their new book, What Happened to You? Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing. $32, including a copy of the book which can be picked up or received by mail. 6pm.
- Star Wars Day 2021 Events Around Houston | Tuesday, May 4 – Get out and show your love for Star Wars, regardless of your age at celebrations, trivia nights, and possibilities across the greater Space City to celebrate May the fourth (be with you). Times, prices and locations vary.
- Cinco de Mayo 2021 Festivities & Events | Cinco de Mayo, Wednesday, May 5 – Commemorate Cinco de Mayo 2021 as the fifth approaches with a weekend full of celebrations, cervezas, margaritas, and Mexican food all over the city. Times, prices and locations vary.
- Houston Rockets vs. Philadelphia 76ers at Toyota Center | Cinco de Mayo, Wednesday, May 5 – Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons land in Houston to take on the Rockets in one of the final home games of the season. Tickets range from $35 to over $600, but you may find better or cheaper seats on the TicketNetwork marketplace. 7pm.
- Moonshot: The Remarkable Journey of Apollo Chamber Players Movie Screening at MoonStruck Drive-In Cinema | Thursday, May 6 | FREE – Hit the drive-in for the remarkable story of Apollo Chamber Players, the Houston-based quartet, at the free screening of a new documentary film. Concessions will be available, along with complimentary popcorn and soft drinks. Though free, advance RSVP is required. 8:15pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Toronto Blue Jays at Minute Maid Park | Friday, May 7 to Sunday, May 9 – George Springer returns to Houston with his new ball club, the Toronto Blue Jays, for a three-game series at Minute Maid Park. Giveaways through the weekend include an Altuve ALCS MVP bobblehead, a replica 2019 AL champions ring, and a Mother’s Day face mask available Sunday afternoon. Times vary.
- Front Lawn Film Nights: Searching Movie Screening at Asia Society Texas Center | Friday, May 7 – Sprawl out on the lawn of Asia Society in Museum District for a screening of Searching, a found-footage thriller starring John Cho as a father searching for his missing teenage daughter. This event is part of an outdoor series of screenings that feature Asian and Asian-American films. $40 for a pod of four people; optional popcorn and candy add-on for $10. 8pm.
- Houston Ballet Reignited at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, May 7 and Saturday, May 8 | FREE – Houston Ballet returns to the stage for the first time in over a year with two evenings of dance, music and film that reflects on the creativity of the past year and the return to the theater. Seating on the hill does not require tickets and will be sectioned into pods (maximum 10 adults). Covered seating requires reserving advance tickets (limit four). 8pm both nights.
- Houston Grand Opera presents My Favorite Things: Songs from The Sound of Music at TDECU Stadium | Saturday, May 8 – Delight in a family-friendly singalong of the beloved Rodgers and Hammerstein’s musical, The Sound of Music, featuring members of Houston Grand Opera and performed at the University of Houston’s stadium for maximum social distancing. $10; $7.50 for ages 16 and under. 7:30pm.
- Mother’s Day 2021 Markets & Events | Saturday, May 8 and Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 9 – Show the mothers in your life how special they are with a slate of events around Houston, including our top picks for delicious meals, events, and sweet gestures to commemorate Mother’s Day 2021. Times, locations, and prices vary.
- Concert in the Park: Quartet for the End of Time at The Water Works at Buffalo Bayou Park | Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 9 | FREE – In conjunction with Anri Sala’s Time No Longer, on display at The Cistern, Da Camera’s Young Artists will perform Olivier Messiaen’s Quartet for the End of Time, which serves as inspiration and soundtrack to the mesmerizing exhibit. 5:45pm.
Save on Houston Museum & Brewery Passes
More Things to Do in Houston
- More Options on Our Calendar – Explore more online entertainment, limited events and other options online and around Houston.
- Things to Do at Home – Dig into a wide range of activities, entertainment, dining “out” at home options and more to do from the comfort of your own digs.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).