Discover the best events in Houston this month with our picks for things to do with kids in and around Houston during May 2021.
Kick off May with Cinco de Mayo celebrations, celebrate Mom, stroll a Strawberry Festival, and end the month with a spectacular Memorial Day.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things for kids and families happening in Houston all May long.
Top 11 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston: May 2021
- Cinco de Mayo at Miller: Mariachi Divas de Cindy Shea at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Saturday, May 1 | FREE | Virtual Option – Witness Grammy Award-winning mariachi music when Miller Outdoor Theatre returns and debuts its 2021 season with a special Cinco de Mayo celebration featuring Mariachi Divas de Cindy Shea, an all-female ensemble that continues to expand the scope of mariachi music. The live performance can also be watched for free on livestream via Miller’s website, YouTube Channel, and Facebook page. 8pm to 10pm.
- 2021 CCA Kid Fishing Tournament in La Porte | Saturday, May 8 – The Northwest Houston Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association of Texas is holding their annual kid fishing tournament at Linda’s Sylvan Beach Bait Camp. RSVP required. Open to ages 17 and under. $10. 7am to 1pm.
- Mother’s Day Celebrations around Houston | Saturday, May 8 and Sunday, May 9 – This year, show the mothers in your life how special they are with a slate of events around Houston that can help convey that appreciation, from markets dealing out the perfect gifts to breweries and popular eateries serving up delicious brunch plates. Locations, times, and prices vary.
- 2021 Pasadena Strawberry Festival | Friday, May 14 to Sunday, May 16 – The annual Pasadena Strawberry Festival returns, featuring much of the same fun families have come to love over the decades, including live music, mutton bustin’, mud volleyball, the world’s largest strawberry shortcake, a carnival, BBQ cook-off, and more. Single day tickets are $10; $5 for ages 5 to 12 and 65+. Three-day weekend passes are $30 per person. Times vary.
- The Dr. Seuss Experience at George R. Brown Convention Center | Starts Saturday, May 15 – Meet your favorite characters and tour through settings from nine of Dr. Seuss’ beloved, imaginative books come to life in a sensory spectacle at George R. Brown Convention Center in Downtown. Tickets are available Wednesdays through Sundays from Saturday, May 15 through Sunday, August 15, 2021. Timed-entry tickets start at $23; VIP tickets are $50 and allow entry at any time of the selected date purchased. Ages under 12 months are free. Times vary.
- 2021 Taste of Poland Drive-Thru Event at Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish | Friday, May 21 to Sunday, May 23 | No Cover – While the Houston Polish Festival prepares for a full-force comeback in September, they’ve gotten things off to an appetizing start with a Taste of Poland drive-thru event, where attendees will be able to pull through for their traditional Polish food, drinks and vendor items in a COVID-safe environment. No cover, but drinks and food are on you. Times vary.
- Miller Virtual Series: HISD Fine Arts Extravaganza Virtual Performance | Saturday, May 22 | FREE | Virtual – This virtual performance showcases talented students from across Houston Independent School District, featuring singing, dancing, music, and acting. The performance can be watched, for free, on livestream through Miller Outdoor Theatre’s website, YouTube Channel, and Facebook page. 8:30pm.
- First3Years’ 2nd Annual Baby Dash Virtual Edition | Saturday, May 22 and Sunday, May 23 | Virtual – First3Years is hosting its second Baby Dash with a virtual, two-day edition that helps raise money to support the healthy development of infants, toddlers, and their families. Participants can take part in the 5K and 10K run/walks, half marathon, bike rides—or even just sitting on your couch—anywhere and anytime over the weekend. Registration starts at $38.95 per person.
- Family Magic & Comedy for All Ages with Carter Blackburn at Houston Improv | Saturday, May 29 – Carter Blackburn’s magic and comedy creates a memorable afternoon for the entire family. Enjoy a mixture of high energy magic, illusions, juggling, sleight of hand, danger, and lots of audience interaction at Houston Improv. This show is appropriate for all ages. 2pm. Tickets start at $20.
- Memorial Day at Town Green Park in The Woodlands | Sunday, May 30 | FREE – Commemorate the ultimate sacrifice of those who lost their lives while serving the United States at this evening event featuring live music, children’s activities, strolling entertainers, and more at Town Green Park in The Woodlands. A dazzling fireworks extravaganza caps off the night. Food and drink will be available for purchase. 5pm to 9pm.
- Current Museum Exhibits & Art Installations in Houston | Ongoing | Some FREE – Across the Museum District and throughout the Greater Houston area, world-class museums and installations are offering up fascinating and engaging exhibitions that are ticketed or free. You can also dig into our Visitor’s Guides at several of Houston’s flagship museums, including The Museum of Fine Arts Houston (MFAH), Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS), The Health Museum, Holocaust Museum Houston, and more.
How to Get Vaccinated & Safely Lose the Mask
With the CDC’s announcement that most fully vaccinated people can go maskless indoors and out, many Houstonians are safely returning to normal life and activities.
The safest way to enjoy this and many other events around Houston is to get vaccinated from COVID-19 infection. Many vaccination sites across the city are allowing walk-ins, including at NRG Park and all Houston Health Department sites. Find the nearest site, including major pharmacies, by texting your ZIP code to GETVAX (438829) in English, or VACUNA (822862) in Spanish.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).