In our Must Do Things Around Greater Houston series, we take a look at Houston’s vast array of communities, neighborhoods and destinations to bring you five fun, tasty, surprising and enticing reasons you should give each one a visit.
Just over 35 miles northwest of Downtown Houston sits the community of Hockley, Texas, a hub for railways since 1857. Head there and you’ll also find grain farms, cattle ranches, residences, and these 5 must do things.
5 Must Do Things Around Hockley
- Enjoy 50+ acres of family fun at Oil Ranch – Spend a day on the ranch at this sprawling working ranch and local amusement park, where you and the kids can milk a cow; hit the stockyard maze and big hay barn; feed cattle and learn to rope a calf; go fishing, swimming and paintballing; take train and pony rides; and more. Spring admission runs $22.95 per person (free for ages under 3) and the ranch is currently open to the public on Saturdays, but is expected to expand its hours this summer. Click here for directions.
- Catch a flick at The Showboat Drive-In – Open year-round every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night (and every night in the summer), this drive-in theater offers a range of new and classic films that you can view on the big screen, straight from your ride (or from chairs right outside your ride, if you prefer). Movie snacks, drinks, and concessions are available for purchase, and tickets come in two forms: individual ($8 each) or car-load (varies by film). You can sometimes find discounted admission offers on deal websites. Click here for directions.
- Take a free ride on the Zube Park Steamers – Visit Zube Park and you’ll find access to trails, a playground and separate spray park, picnic area, soccer field and disc golf, plus its pièce de résistance: the super cool run by the Houston Area Live Steamers. Free train rides are available to the public on select weekends March through November. Click here for directions.
- Try a Soap Box Derby Race at Hockley Park – Soap box cars and gravity races are on full display at the Hockley Recreational Complex’s Derby Track, where the young and young-at-heart can sign up to join the action. While derby racing events are gearing up for a reopening, you can follow the upcoming action on the Greater Houston Soap Box Derby Facebook page. Click here for directions.
- Pop a cold one at Jimbo’s Road House – Live bands, darts and billiards, happy hour, karaoke and steak nights are just a part of the fun that goes down at this laid-back Texas icehouse. Hit it for cold booze, friendly biker bar vibes, and good times. Click here for directions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).