Our My Top 5 series shines the spotlight on Houstonians who play an active role in cooking up and crafting the character of our city. In it, they share their five favorite things to do around H-Town when they’re enjoying well-earned time off. This week, we’re pleased to feature Cameron James, president of the Greater Houston Restaurant Association (GHRA).
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Cameron James
- Family Friendly Restaurants – We love taking the kids to a family friendly outdoor restaurant. There is no shortage of options with great food and drinks, and a green space for the kids to run around. A few favorites include Millie’s, Mia’s Table, and Preslee’s.
- Staycation – My wife and I are big fans of having a staycation every once in a while. We got married at Hotel ZaZa Memorial City, so that’s our favorite get away. We really love the comfort and environment of ZaZa, as well as the convenience in location. And it’s kid friendly too!
- The Houston Rockets – I am a die-hard Rockets fan. I remember the glory days of the early ’90s, and I’ve remained loyal since. I’m confident that the new leadership will have us back to being Finals contenders in no time.
- Fight the Dad Bod – While chasing the kids around the block might be an acceptable form of exercise, I like to do more formal training as well at The League, owned by Terry “The Trainer” Williams and his wife Ashley. I’ve been going here for years for two reasons: great work out and great people. When I want to switch it up, I go visit Riley at Ride in The Heights.
- Sitting at the Bar and Ordering Take Out – In a world of convenience, mobile ordering, and delivery; I sincerely value ordering the old fashioned way—inside the restaurant, face to face. There’s something about enjoying a drink and watching the kitchen, the people, and having a conversation with the bartender that makes for a great experience. Favorite locations: The Original Carabba’s on Kirby, and a Garden Oaks neighborhood favorite, Plonk!
About Cameron James
An experienced team builder with an eye for details, Cameron James is the Director of Operations at LaTrelle’s and is currently serving as President of the Greater Houston Chapter of the Texas Restaurant Association (GHRA). Known for his strong work ethic and passion for perfection, he enjoys leading the members of each LaTrelle’s restaurant in developing and maintaining quality and safety standards that go above and beyond customer expectations. A true people person, with a knack for seeing each employee’s unique gifts and talents, James helps pave the way for future growth by training and empowering management and employees to set and achieve goals. Highly-motivated and energetic, James brings more than 15 years of restaurant operation insights, as well as LaTrelle’s trademark can-do spirit, to all LaTrelle’s restaurants and to the GHRA.