In our My Top 5 series, we highlight Houstonians who are shaping and creating the culture and character of our city, and ask them to share their five favorite things to do around Houston when they’re not hard at work. This week, we’re pleased to feature Jonathan Zadok, who is a partner at Zadok Jewelers along with his parents and brothers.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Jonathan Zadok
- Carrabba’s – The Original – Our family has always gathered at this long-time Italian institution for special occasions and dinners. I have many memories there with a big group around the table enjoying the amazing food and a nice glass of wine at this true neighborhood restaurant. Try the Eggplant Parmesan and the original House Salad! You will not be disappointed.
- Houston Zoo – Since my daughter was a baby, I have loved taking her to the Houston Zoo on the weekends to experience the incredible species of animals and ecosystems. I have such fond memories of strolling along the zoo path and teaching her all of the animals’ names. We always make sure to stop and feed the giraffes!
- Southern Smoke Foundation – I love anything from Chris Shepherd, especially his current efforts through his non-profit Southern Smoke Foundation, which my business has partnered with. I admire how the foundation raises funds for the hospitality industry nationwide during this difficult time. Georgia James, in Montrose, is one of my all-time favorite steakhouses! Prior to the pandemic, I would look forward to the organization’s annual local culinary event, Southern Smoke Festival. It’s a fun way to support hospitality workers and there are tons of bites prepared by fantastic local chefs participating in the event. The food is always amazing.
- Memorial Park – I’ve been running regularly when I have free time, as it’s one of my favorite hobbies. I use the trails at Memorial Park as much as I can. When I’m not running, I love spending time there with my family on the weekends at the beautiful new lake and picnic area, the Clay Family Eastern Glades. My daughter regularly brings her dolls and a ball, and we play with cousins and friends there for hours on the grass. As a member of the Uptown Houston Development Board responsible for the expansion of Memorial Park, it’s especially rewarding for me to see Houstonians experience the enjoyment of these outdoors spaces.
- Houston Museum of Natural Science – The Houston Museum of Natural Science is one of my favorite museums in the Houston Museum District. It’s such a beautiful part of town. I’ve been taking my daughter and nieces to the Cockrell Butterfly Center, where they have the opportunity to see hundreds of colorful butterflies in their habitat. One time, a butterfly landed on my daughter’s head, and she still talks about it! It was a really exciting moment for her.
About Jonathan Zadok
Jonathan Zadok is a partner at Zadok Jewelers, Houston’s premier watch, jewelry and diamond destination on Post Oak Boulevard. Along with his parents, Dror and Helene, and his younger brothers, Segev and Gilad, Jonathan plays an integral role in operating the family business, which was founded in 1976. He has a passion for buying inventory for the store, as well as assisting customers with finding special pieces that commemorate life experiences. Before devoting his work full-time at Zadok over 20 years ago, Jonathan graduated from the University of Denver with a degree in Marketing and Finance followed by a GIA (Gemological Insttitute of America) Certification in California. The Zadok family is looking forward to opening Post Oak Place, a Zadok-owned-and-developed mixed-use project which will soon be home to their new, multi-level Zadok Jewelers store expected to open March 2021.