Salute the community service of eight Houstonians, all nominated by local nonprofits, for their contribution to our city at the fourth annual Mayor’s History Makers Awards presented by Comcast from Monday, February 1 through Sunday, February 28, 2021.
This year’s History Makers Award recipients will be celebrated through a series of vignettes that will be featured on Comcast’s social media platforms beginning Monday, February 1, 2021. The annual event is held in conjunction with Black History Month and, while it normally also includes an in-person awards presentations, is being held entirely virtually this year.
In addition to sharing the recognition and video vignette series, Comcast will also donate $1,000 to the nonprofit organization of each honoree’s choice.
Houston History Makers 2021 Vignettes Lineup
Through the first three weeks of February, Comcast will release new video vignettes celebrating individual award winners on most Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Videos will debut at 9am on scheduled days and the series will remain online and be viewable all month.
- Highlight Introduction Video | Monday, February 1, 2021
- Carol Mims Galloway | Wednesday, February 3, 2021 – Nominated by NAACP
- Sue Johnson | Friday, February 5, 2021 – Nominated by Family Service Center of Galveston County
- Dr. LaShondra Jones | Monday, February 8, 2021 – Nominated by South East Veterans’ Resource Effort (SERVE)
- Dr. Beverly Nolan | Friday, February 12, 2021 – Nominated by Holocaust Museum Houston
- Commissioner Grady Prestage | Monday, February 15, 2021 – Nominated by Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston
- Dr. Vernus Swisher | Wednesday, February 17, 2021 – Nominated by Center for Pursuit
- Dr. Antonio Dwayne Tillis | Friday, February 19, 2021 – Nominated by East End Chamber Foundation
- Dr. Judith Craven | Monday, February 22, 2021 – Nominated by Mayor Sylvester Turner
“This year’s honorees have dedicated their lives to serving the public, and they have contributed to making our community stronger and more resilient. They deserve to be celebrated every day and especially during Black History Month,” Mayor Sylvester Turner said. “I am grateful to Comcast for shining a positive light on these exceptional individuals. Time and again, Comcast demonstrates why they are a leader in corporate citizenship through commitment and action.”
Honorees were judged on criteria that included their personal impact in the community, helping further the mission of a nonprofit organization and overcoming personal obstacles. Judges for the awards include Judge Lina Hidalgo, Harris County; Shannon LaNier Anchor, CW39, Blogger, Daddy Duty 365; Khambrel Marshall, Meteorologist, KPRC-TV; Francis Paige, Jr. Publisher, Houston Style Magazine; Edward Pollard, Houston City Council Member, District J; and Dr. Ruth Simmons, President, Prairie View A&M University.
Mayor’s History Makers Awards presented by Comcast
- Dates: Monday, February 1 through Sunday, February 28, 2021
- Times: All vignettes will debut at 9am on select Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. They will remain available for viewing online. Watch or get more information.
- Watch: All vignettes are free to watch on Comcast’s local Houston platforms, including houston.comcast.com, Twitter, and Facebook from Monday, February 1 through Sunday, February 28, 2021.
This post was sponsored by the event organizer. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.