Make the most of your week with our top 10 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, January 11 to Sunday, January 17, 2021.
Planning your week these days can be challenging but we’ve got you covered with our picks for events and virtual events taking place throughout Houston this week.
Be sure to check back in the coming days as we add events when they emerge. Do you know an event that could make the list? Let us know at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things happening in Houston from Monday, January 11 to Sunday, January 17, 2021.
Top 10 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Tuesday, January 12 – LeBron James, Anthony Davis and the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers hit the Rockets’ home court for their potentially last matchup in Houston this season. Limited tickets range from $79 to over $300, but you may find better or cheaper seats on the TicketNetwork marketplace. This game is also broadcast on ATT SportsNet-SW and NBA TV. 7pm.
- Trivia Tuesday at True Anomaly Brewing Company | Tuesday, January 12 | No Cover – Head to EaDo for an evening of themed trivia and tasty local suds when True Anomaly Brewing and Booze n’ Query Trivia host a game-filled night where winners can score a $50 gift card. 7:30pm.
- Asia Society presents Artist Talk featuring Laura Drey & Brandon Tho Harris on Youtube & Facebook Live | Wednesday, January 13 | FREE – Held in conjunction with Asia Society Texas Center’s Artists on Site project, two of the featured artists will discuss the artistic process and their work in Houston during a virtual conversation alongside Ashley DeHoyos and Bridget Bray. 7pm.
- Comedian Bruce Bruce at Houston Improv | Thursday, January 14 to Sunday, January 17 – Fall out of your chair laughing when American actor and comedian Bruce Bruce, known for his specials and time spent hosting BET’s ComicView, takes to the stage at Houston Improv for a weekend filled with six socially distanced shows. $55 for a table for two; $110 for four people; $165 for six people. Preferred tables range from $75 to $225, based on the number of people. Showtimes vary.
- Rothko Chapel presents 2021 MLK Birthday Celebration with Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor on Vimeo | Friday, January 15 | FREE – In honor of Dr. King’s birthday, Rothko Chapel presents an online discussion led by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, author and Assistant Professor in the Department of African-American Studies at Princeton University, that examines the Reverend’s transformation of ideas toward reconstructing the United States in pursuit of a just society. An audience Q&A session will follow. Free, with registration. Suggested contributions range from $5 to $20. 6pm.
- Houston Symphony presents Midori Plays Beethoven at Jones Hall | Friday, January 15 to Sunday, January 17 – Witness one of the most celebrated violinists of all time, Midori, as she performs Beethoven’s beloved Violin Concerto and other works. A livestream option is available for the Saturday night performance. $29 to $99 each night; livestream performance on Saturday, January 16 can be viewed for $20. Showtimes vary.
- Brandy for Breakfast Release & PJ Party at B-52 Brewing Company | Saturday, January 16 | No Cover – Throw on your most comfortable set of PJs and win swag, prizes and more while celebrating the release of B-52 Brewing Company’s tasty Breakfast Stout, which has been aged in brandy barrels for two years. Noon to 10pm.
- 2021 AMA Supercross at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 16 – Hear the engines roar and watch dirtbikes soar when the 2021 AMA Supercross season kicks off at NRG Stadium with high-flying stunts, an afternoon FanFest, opening ceremony festivities and more. $35, but you may find cheaper or better seats on the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. FanFest starts at 1:30pm; opening ceremony and races begin at 7pm.
- The Brunch Mixer & Market: New Year Edition at Pitch 25 Beer Park | Sunday, January 17 | No Cover – Ease into the New Year in EaDo during a day filled with yoga, vendors, brunch, giveaways and more. Free with RSVP; $5 for yoga or fitness bootcamp; $10 for a vision board session. 10:30am to 4pm.
- Montrose Morning Market on Lovett Boulevard | Sunday, January 17 | No Cover – Browse artisan goods, jewelry and more while shopping small when local farmers, makers, bakers and treat makers meet in Montrose for a Sunday morning market. 11am to 3pm.
Social Distancing & COVID-19
Businesses and organizations in Houston have opened under modified protocols, following guidelines administered by local health officials, the State of Texas and CDC. At this time, guidance from experts urges people to continue wearing face masks when in public spaces, practice social distancing of at least six feet, limit your touching of surfaces and frequently use hand sanitizer or soap and water to keep your hands clean.
Although vaccines have been approved and distribution has begun, supplies are still limited. Health officials have severely cautioned that it will take until late spring 2021 before the U.S. might be able to expect a level of herd immunity. In the meantime, masks are strongly advised to help curb the increasing spread of COVID-19 this winter.
Before heading out, take time to familiarize with your destination’s requirements or restrictions at this moment, and be sure to contact them ahead of time with any questions or concerns.
More Things to Do in Houston
- More Options on Our Calendar – Explore more online entertainment, limited events and other options online and around Houston.
- Things to Do at Home – Dig into a wide range of activities, entertainment, dining “out” at home options and more to do from the comfort of your own digs.
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resources – Find more information about best practices, how you can help, and other details about response to COVID-19.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).