Celebrate the vision and impact of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., or enjoy some pop-up events, with Houston MLK Day 2021 with virtual commemorations, live events, and more from Friday, January 15 to MLK Day, Monday, January 18, 2021.
Although the events may look different this year, there are still plenty of chances to honor Dr. King, or just enjoy an extra day off, in 2021.
Martin Luther King Day 2021 Commemorations & Events in Houston
Friday, January 15, 2021
- Rothko Chapel’s 2021 MLK Birthday Celebration with Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor | Virtual | FREE with RSVP – On the day of Dr. King’s actual birthday, author and assistant professor at Princeton University’s Department of African-American Studies, Taylor will speak on “The Radical King and the Quest to Change America”. Following will be a Q&A with Black Lives Matter: Houston’s lead organizer Brandon Mack. Suggested donations of $5 to $20 welcome. 6pm.
Saturday, January 16, 2021
- MLK Day Pop-Up Shop in South Houston | No Cover – Stroll and browse your way through an outdoor market showcasing local, Black-owned businesses. Noon to 4pm.
MLK Day, Monday, January 18, 2021
- MLK Day of Service at Houston Food Bank | FREE – To honor Martin Luther King, the Houston Food Bank hosts a Shell Backpack Buddy Food Drive where you can drive-up and donate non-perishable items to be used in Backpack Buddy sacks which help food-insecure schoolchildren. 8am to 4pm.
- 33rd Annual Martin Luther King Scholarship Breakfast on KHOU 11 | Virtual | FREE – Tune into KHOU 11 or Facebook Live to catch a virtual presentation of the annual scholarship fundraiser featuring Trae The Truth. With the theme of “Good Trouble: Marching for Education”, this year’s event honors both Dr. King and the late Congressman John Lewis. Donations to the scholarship fund are welcome. 9am.
- 2021 MLK Baseball & Softball Camp with Doug Neuendorf at D-Bat Houston – Sign up your favorite 9- to 13-year-olds to hone their game skills on a day off from school. Includes a catered lunch. $75. 9am to 2pm.
- 43rd Annual Original MLK Day Virtual Experience & Live Parade of Giving | Virtual | FREE – For 2021, the Black Heritage Society shifts its celebration—the very first in the country—to a live-streamed event. Paired with that will be a reverse drive-through parade where Houstonians can donate goods. 10am to noon.
- MLK Day Brunch with Skinny Kravitz at The Rustic on Post Oak | No Cover – Groove to the soulfully, funky music of Skinny Kravitz at a special Monday brunch in Uptown. 10am to 2pm.
- MLK Day 5th Ward Meal Giveaway at Pleasant Hill Village | FREE with RSVP – Lucille’s 1913 Conscious Community Collective is serving up free meals to go to residents of the Fifth Ward in celebration of Dr. King. 2pm to 4pm.
Social Distancing & COVID-19
As we enter into the vaccination phase of the COVID-19 pandemic, medical experts still advise that we have a way to go before we achieve herd immunity and can safely resume pre-pandemic activities. In the meantime, you can remain vigilant in protecting yourself against the coronavirus by continuing to wear face masks when in public spaces, practice social distancing of at least six feet, limit your touching of surfaces, and frequently use hand sanitizer or soap and water to keep your hands clean.
While the Governor of Texas has lifted mandatory mask orders and capacity limits, most businesses are still requiring face masks to enter and enforcing reduced capacity. Familiarize with your destination’s policies ahead of time and please respect their public safety precautions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).