Plot your next daytrip from Houston with our guide to the region’s best things to do, including more than 500 must-see attractions, favorites and hidden gems.
In our Around Houston series, we’ve dug far and wide to find the best ways to spend your time outside H-Town whether you’re looking to get into the great outdoors, plan your next family outing, learn a little about the region’s history and many things in between.
You’ll find more than 500 things to build your itinerary for a daytrip or road trip to the communities that surround Houston, including Brazosport, Clear Lake and the Bay Area, Baytown, Beaumont, Conroe, Deer Park, Galveston, Pearland, Port Arthur, Sugar Land, The Woodlands and Tomball.
Of course, it’s also important for you to consider any health precautions before heading out. Our picks below may have certain requirements or restrictions at this moment and these things can change quickly, so be sure to contact your destination ahead of time with any questions or concerns.
Day Trips & Things to Do Outside Houston
- Beaches & On-the-Water Activities – Take to the water for exhilarating adventures like boat tours, paddling and sailing, or claim your spot by the waves with our guide to more than 40 beaches and recreational water activities.
- Birding, Hiking & the Great Outdoors – Unwind in the incredible diversity of state parks, wildlife refuges, hiking trails, birding outposts and more with our guide to more than 70 outdoor locales and trips worth taking.
- Breweries, Wineries & Distilleries – Sip on a crisp, refreshing brew or take in the refined touches of wine and spirits from more than 20 breweries, wineries and distilleries serving up some of the region’s most enticing drinks.
- Family Attractions, Amusements & Things to Do – From family fun centers and aquariums to museums and more, our guide to over 75 attractions and amusements will fill your family’s free time.
- Family Parks & Playgrounds – Follow our guide to more than 50 playgrounds and parks, including sports fields and courts, swimming pools, splash pads and more.
- Fishing Piers, Hidden Spots & Offshore Guides – Cast a line and relax with our guide to more than 30 prime fishing spots along the Gulf shore, in state parks, on neighborhood piers and with offshore guide services.
- Historic Sites, Homes & Museums – Take a tour of the region’s history with our guide to more than 45 historic homes, museums and other special sites.
- Public Golf Courses, Mini-Golf, and Disc Golf Courses – Set a tee time with our guide to more than 40 public golf courses, as well as free disc golf and miniature golf found throughout the region.
- Restaurants, Dishes & Dining Experiences – Dine on delectable dishes from our guide to over 60 restaurants and dining experiences in Houston’s surrounding communities.
- Unique Boutiques, Specialty Shopping and Local Retail – Dig up your next fashion find with our guide to more than 70 unique boutiques, shops and local retailers.
Social Distancing & COVID-19
Businesses in Houston have opened under modified protocols, following guidelines administered by local health officials, the State of Texas and CDC. At this time, guidance from experts urges people to continue wearing face masks when in public spaces, practice social distancing of at least six feet, limit your touching of surfaces and frequently use hand sanitizer or soap and water to keep your hands clean.
Before heading out, take time to familiarize with your destination’s requirements or restrictions at this moment, and be sure to contact them ahead of time with any questions or concerns.
This post was sponsored by Visit Houston. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.