Strap on those ice skates and head out onto the largest outdoor ice skating rink in the Southwest at The Ice at Discovery Green, open daily in Downtown—with safety precautions and reduced skating capacity—through Sunday, January 31, 2021.
Made from water recycled from the park’s Kinder Lake, the 7,716 square foot-rink is the de facto headquarters for outdoor winter fun in Houston, presenting a wide variety of seasonal programming for skaters and spectators alike.
Throughout the course of the season, and most given weeks, you can expect to skate along to outdoor movies, live music and DJs, and (up until Christmas) with Santa Claus himself.
Due to COVID-19, capacity on the rink has been reduced and all tickets and skating reservations much be ordered online in advance. Ticket will not be sold on site. Click here to order tickets or for more information.
Given the high demand on weekends, clever planners will likely want to plan ahead or book their skates on the less busy weekdays, including those featuring popular theme nights.
The Ice at Discovery Green is powered by Green Mountain Energy.
Weekly Theme Events at The Ice on Discovery Green
- Cheap Skate Nights | Select Mondays – Enjoy skating for just $8 per person on select Mondays from 5pm to 10pm. Cheap Skate Night is held every couple of weeks, excluding Houston ISD vacation days. Click here for more details.
- Skating with the Stars | Select Tuesdays – Catch a live performance and demonstration by local professional skaters in the middle of evening’s skating session. 7pm to 7:15pm. Click here for more details.
- Music Trends through the Decades with DJ Mohawk Steve | Select Wednesdays – Progress from the 1940s to the 2020 with DJ tunes channeling each decade, plus a few special holiday and Houston themed nights. 7pm to 9pm. Click here for more details.
- Friday Night DJs | Select Fridays – Mix and mingle to the latest pop music and other popular jams. 7:30pm to 10pm on most Friday. Click here for more details.
- Skate with Santa! | Thursdays in December – Join Santa Claus for an hour skate session on Thursdays leading up to Christmas. 7pm to 8pm most weeks; noon to 1pm on Christmas Eve. Click here for more details.
Click here to check for upcoming events at the Ice and Discovery Green.
People in non-motorized wheelchairs are welcome to enjoy the rink in their chairs, when accompanied by a responsible adult at all times while on the ice rink. Access is free for wheelchair visitors, while accompanying caretakers and friends receive a discounted rate of $8.
Weather Impacts on The Ice on Discovery Green Operations
Note that the ice rink may be closed unexpectedly due to weather conditions including heat, lightning or rain. On very warm days, the rink may open late so that the ice may be covered until 3:30pm.
Social Distancing & COVID-19
Masks are required to skate. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you. Click here to learn more about safety measures at The Ice at Discovery Green.
Businesses and organizations in Houston have opened under modified protocols, following guidelines administered by local health officials, the State of Texas and CDC. At this time, guidance from experts urges people to continue wearing face masks when in public spaces, practice social distancing of at least six feet, limit your touching of surfaces and frequently use hand sanitizer or soap and water to keep your hands clean.
Before heading out, take time to familiarize with your destination’s requirements or restrictions at this moment, and be sure to contact them ahead of time with any questions or concerns.
The Ice at Discovery Green
- Dates: Daily through Sunday, January 31, 2021
- Times: Monday to Thursday 5pm to 10pm; Friday 5pm to 11pm; Saturday 11am to 11pm; Sunday 11am to 8pm. Holidays, school holidays, and other select days have special hours. Click here for a detailed list of hours by date. Note that during warmer days or during inclement weather, The Ice may be closed or have a delayed opening. It’s also a good idea to click here and check Discovery Green’s website before heading over or call 713-434-RINK on days with extreme weather.
- Location: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney Street, Houston, TX 77010
- Admission: Free to visit and attend events. Skating is $15 per person, including skate rental and tax. Group discounts are available. On select Monday nights (none during school breaks), skating is $8 for Cheap Skate Night. Tickets must be purchased online and no tickets will be available on site.
This post was sponsored by the event organizer. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.