Tantalize your taste buds with some of the best restaurants, dishes and dining experiences to be found outside the loop and Around Houston.
We’ve complied some of the region’s most mouth-watering and delicious dining experiences found throughout the region outside the city of Houston, including Baytown, Beaumont, Brazosport, Clear Lake and the Bay Area, Conroe, Deer Park, Galveston, Pearland, Port Arthur, Sugar Land, The Woodlands and Tomball.
Most importantly, for the realities of 2020, safely visiting restaurants or ordering items to-go is a great way to explore what’s on offer in the Houston region while supporting businesses at a time that they need it the most.
Of course, it’s also important for you to consider any health precautions before heading out. Our picks below may have certain requirements or restrictions at this moment and these things can change quickly, so be sure to contact your destination ahead of time with any questions or concerns.
Around Houston: Restaurants, Dishes & Dining Experiences
- Amaravati Indian Cuisine | Indian – From Punjab and Kashmir to Delhi and Mumbai, Amaravati brings the unique flavors of regional Indian cuisine to your table at their Garth Road location. Savor the familiar spices of curries and kebabs, or take in lighter fare with their mid-day tiffins and flavorful soups. Click here for more information.
- Cuban Café | Cuban – This family-owned “hole in the wall” shop offers authentic Cuban sandwiches for breakfast and lunch, with bread shipped in daily from South Florida. The café also serves up a cup of Cuban coffee alongside other dishes like chicken and rice or plantains. Click here for more information.
- El Toro | Mexican – Along with locations in Clute and La Porte, El Toro’s three Baytown spots are serving up signature Tex-Mex that includes fajitas, tacos, enchiladas and specials like the pollo con queso; a sliced chicken breast under a blanket of pico de gallo, chile con queso and melted blended cheeses with an avocado slice. Click here for more information.
- Nara Thai Dining | Thai – Branching out from their original location in Humble, this family-owned Thai spot in Baytown offers an array of curries, noodles, and signature dishes, like the Massaman Curry and Crispy Garlic Roasted Duck, with sweet and flavorful desserts to top off a delightful dining experience. Click here for more information.
- Pipeline Grill | American – At their locations in Baytown and La Porte, this American eatery is known for their delish brick oven pizzas and household favorites like chicken fried chicken, burgers, Po-Boys and seafood. Swing by for happy hour specials that include a selection of local craft beers alongside domestic and import offerings. Click here for more information.
- Rooster’s Steak House | BBQ, American – In historic Baytown, this eatery has spent more than forty years serving up classic favs like their Rooster Burger alongside freshly butchered barbecued meats like sausage, brisket and ribs that are on offer until they run out. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Baytown.
- Carmela’s | Mexican – Whether you’re eating on the stomach-stretching breakfast plates or deep into the dinner dishes, Carmela’s will treat you right with some of the tastiest Tex-Mex favorites to be found in Beaumont. Click here for more information.
- J. Wilson’s Restaurant & Bar | American – Dive into this area fav for a delicious brunch menu that features items like crab cake benedict, biscuits and gravy, and a smoked gouda breakfast bowl, or opt for familiar lunch and dinner offerings such as fried shrimp, the farm-raised catfish filet, and the 14-ounce ribeye. Click here for more information.
- Suga’s Deep South Cuisine & Jazz Bar | Cajun, Creole – Southern flavors are on full display at this Beaumont jazz bar and restaurant. Start your meal off at Suga’s with boudin bruschetta, dig into the hot honey fried chicken & waffles, and take a taste of dishes that feature quail, venison, turkey and more. Swing by on Saturdays and Sundays for the jazz brunch to hear from an assortment of accomplished professional musicians. Click here for more information.
- Sweet Basil | Vietnamese – Bite into the bright flavors of Vietnamese cuisine at this top spot in Beaumont offering banh mi, sweet banh bao, noodle soups, pho, seafood dishes, in-season crawfish, and vegetarian selections. Click here for more information.
- Tia Juanita’s Fish Camp | Mexican, Cajun, Seafood – Munch on the fusion flavors of Mexican Cajun seafood at this popular spot serving up fish and shrimp tacos, gumbo, boudin quesadillas, New Orleans BBQ shrimp and much more alongside a bar menu of mixed drinks and tangy margaritas. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Beaumont.
- Asiel’s on Mammoth Lake | American, Seafood – For two decades, this comfort food spot on the shores of Mammoth Lake has sent out delicious entrees to its faithful customers, from homemade burgers and sandwiches to Creole meatloaf and shrimp pastas. Click here for more information.
- Big Thai | Thai – In Lake Jackson, this local favorite serves up a wide range of traditional Thai dishes, curries, and fresh ocean seafood with menu specials that are bright in their colors and flavors. Click here for more information.
- The Grape Taste | American, Wine – This upscale eatery in Lake Jackson is known for cooking up melt-in-your-mouth steaks and burgers, as well offerings from their tapas menu, though they excel in their extensive cellar of wines from around the world that finely complement any meal. Click here for more information.
- The Local | American – Comfort food is on the menu at this longtime Lake Jackson counter service staple, with burgers, sandwiches, seafood dishes and more available from breakfast through dinner. Click here for more information.
- Red Snapper Inn | Seafood – For more than thirty years, diners at this Surfside eatery have been savoring some of the freshest seafood straight from the Gulf of Mexico, which sits just mere feet away. Dig into specials like grilled jumbo shrimp with a Greek sauce, cooked-your-way fish filets, and fried favorites. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Beaumont.
Clear Lake, Kemah, League City & Bay Area
- Gilhooley’s Restaurant & Oyster Bar | Seafood – Get your fix at this Dickinson spot serving up fresh-shucked, slightly sweet oysters, shrimp, boudin and other seafood dishes with indoor and outdoor seating available for locals and visitors alike. This restaurant is for ages 18 and up. Click here for more information.
- Kemah Boardwalk – This family attraction destination offers up a unique boardwalk carnival atmosphere among its many shops, games, and popular restaurants, including several Landry’s offerings, The Flying Dutchman, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and more. Click here for more information.
- Nobi’s Public House | Vietnamese, Beer – Get your fill on craft brews and Vietnamese-fusion cuisine at this Webster hot spot serving banh mi, vermicelli, noodles and more alongside dozens of local, national and international beer offerings with the option to grab a growler to go. Click here for more information.
- T-Bone Tom’s | American – In Kemah, this ’60s meat market-turned-restaurant draws flocks of locals and tourists looking to dine on Texas-sized portions of comfort classics like chicken fried steak, spicy blackened catfish and barbeque. Click here for more information.
- Tookie’s | Burgers – Across four decades, this Seabrook staple along Highway 146 attracts hungry visitors ready for their super sized burgers and sides that are known to leave stomachs stuffed. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in the Bay Area.
- Fajita Jack’s | Mexican – On the banks of Lake Conroe, this popular Tex-Mex spot is doling out classic dishes from their sizzling fajitas and specialty burritos to chimichangas and quesadillas. Check in on their daily offerings to take advantage of bar specials, including Friday’s $8 top shelf margarita. Click here for more information.
- Joe’s Italian Restaurant | Italian – If you’re looking for the comforting flavors of New York-style Italian food and brick oven pizza, then this family-owned spot has you covered with an extensive menu of pasta dishes, pizza and entrées with chicken, veal and seafood. Click here for more information.
- McKenzie’s Barbeque & Burgers | BBQ – For nearly thirty years, this family-owned barbeque joint has served up slow-smoked meats, fall-off-the-bone ribs and irresistible hot links and sausage. Swing by to start building up your plate along with potato salad, cole slaw and mac n cheese. Click here for more information.
- The Toasted Yolk Café | Breakfast, Lunch – Start your new brunch routine with a stop at this café that boasts double decker omelettes, buttermilk pancakes, and brisket scrambles ahead of their lunch offerings that include patty melts, a high-piled reuben, and soup combos. Click here for more information.
- Vernon’s Kuntry Katfish | American – Pull up a chair at this longtime family-owned restaurant serving up homemade dishes straight from the kitchen table, like chicken fried steak, katfish and seafood alongside many Southern favorites. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Conroe.
- Andy’s Hawg Wild Bar-B-Que | BBQ – Off Dedman Street, this local spot is smoking mouth-watering, finger-licking good barbecue to fill up your plate or served in a sandwich, along with a deep sides menu that features fried okra, turnip greens, onion rings and sweet potato fries. Click here for more information.
- Antonio’s Italian Grill & Seafood | Italian – For more than thirty years, this family-owned Italian spot has been providing home made recipes from earlier generations that translates into sumptuous dishes of Italian classics or a create-your-own pasta plate. Click here for more information.
- Bibi’s House of Kabob | Mediterranean – On Center Street, Bibi’s aims to satisfy your Mediterranean cravings with meats marinated in a savory saffron mixture, traditional appetizers and sides, and a wide range of options for pita wraps, kabobs and plates. Top it off with the gooey sweetness of pistachio or cashew baklava. Click here for more information.
- The Brisket House | BBQ – One of three locations in the Houston area, The Brisket House offers up overnight-smoked prime brisket with a special blend of spices and fresh, made-daily sauce along with sausage, turkey breast, St. Louis pork ribs, chicken and pulled pork. Click here for more information.
- Somethin’ Sweet | Desserts – This local all-things-sweets shop crafts cupcakes, cookies, rice krispy treats and more alongside savory lunch specials to balance out your taste buds. Keep an eye on their social media for limited releases so you can reserve your own. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Deer Park.
- Gaido’s | Seafood – This seafood spot along Seawall Boulevard has been a Galveston staple for more than a century, offering fresh catches via local fisherman and from around the globe. Dine on their signature crab stuffed shrimp, oysters on the half shell, the pecan encrusted mahi mahi and much more. Click here for more information.
- Little Daddy’s Gumbo Bar | Cajun, Seafood – Stir up your dinner routine with the steam kettle cooking at Little Daddy’s, which offers savory tastes in its crawfish etoufee, zesty Po-Boys, and fried seafood platters. Click here for more information.
- Nick’s Kitchen and Beach Bar | Seafood – Get your fill and then some at this Seawall greasy spoon that features fried seafood, fresh catches, and burger offerings like the “Cardiac Arrest”; an 8-ounce patty topped with bacon, fried onion strings, cheddar cheese, ranch and BBQ sauce. Click here for more information.
- Rudy & Paco Restaurant & Bar | Central & South American – Dive into flavors from south of the border to the southern hemisphere with this upscale dining experience in downtown which offers dishes typical of Costa Rica, Argentina and other Latin American countries. Click here for more information.
- More Downtown Galveston Dining – Just blocks from the Gulf Coast waves, Galveston’s downtown district is a lively collection of restaurants, shops and other attractions, including along the Historic Strand District. Click here to check out some of the most delectable dining on the Island.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Galveston.
- Biryani Express | Indian – Off Broadway near Highway 288, this family-owned Indian/Hyderabad eatery serves up full flavor in its dishes from the northern, southern and Hyderabad regions of India. Get your fix on biryani, tandoori, and South Indian dosas, available at affordable prices. Click here for more information.
- Cafe Taraiz | Mediterranean – Savor the fresh, flavorful dishes of the Mediterranean region at this family-owned spot in Pearland, featuring light breakfast options, bright salads, wraps and kabobs. Click here for more information.
- Killen’s Barbecue | BBQ – These smoked delicacies from Ronnie Killen are the stuff of barbecue legend in Houston, and you can grab a plate of brisket, pork ribs, homemade pork and beef sausage, turkey and more at the original Killen’s Barbecue location in Pearland. Click here for more information.
- King’s Biergarten | German – Using recipes passed down for more than 100 years, this popular Pearland spot offers a mix of traditional German, Austrian and American cuisine. Dig into schnitzels and sausages while you lift a stein of traditional German and Austrian brews. Click here for more information.
- Pearland Town Center – This outdoor shopping center features more than two dozen eateries open for dining, including familiar favorites alongside offerings like Kung Fu Tea, Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar, and Bonchon. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Pearland.
- El Viejo Tony Mexican Bar & Grill | Mexican – This family-owned and operated restaurant serves up Mexican and Tex-Mex favorites like burritos, tamales, enchiladas, and spicy shrimp diablo along with the rare offering of queso blanco. Click here for more information.
- Larry’s French Market & Cajun Restaurant | Cajun – Pull up a seat to the red checkered tablecloths at Larry’s for Cajun seafood specialties, fresh catches and more while you listed to the tune of Zydeco and Swamp Pop on live music nights Thursdays through Saturdays. Click here for more information.
- Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar | Japanese – Take your pick from sushi, sashimi and more than fifty rolls on offer at this local favorite for Japanese dining. Or, enjoy entrees from the hibachi grill and special combination dishes. Click here for more information.
- Tuscany Italian Restaurant | Italian – Take a taste of Italy at this locally-owned eatery serving up familiar favorites like pizza, pasta and subs along with seafood, chicken, veal and steak entrees. Click here for more information.
- Uyen’s Restaurant Vietnamese Cuisine | Vietnamese – Enjoy the rich and aromatic broth of pho at this Vietnamese staple in Port Arthur, served alongside other traditional favs like vermicelli, bo kho and more. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Port Arthur.
- Baked by Beena | Desserts – This locally owned family bakery sends up rich, moist cupcakes, macarons, gelato, puffs and Indian pastries, as well as crafting custom cakes for your next special event. Click here for more information.
- GURU Burgers & Bowls | Burgers – In Sugar Land Town Square, this locally owned spot touts a menu of healthy and delicious dishes, including poke bowls, vegan options, and burgers or sliders topped with things like home made fig spread, sweet plantains and Mexican Coca-Cola BBQ Sauce. Click here for more information.
- Japaneiro’s Sushi Bistro & Latin Grill | Sushi, Fusion – Feast on the fusion offerings at this well regarded sushi spot in Sugar Land. Here, you can order crab puffs alongside tostadas and enjoy a wide range of traditional and vegetarian sushi rolls along with inventive creations and South American-inspired plates. Click here for more information.
- Jupiter Pizza & Waffle Co. | American – Everything you need to know is in the name of this Sugar Land staple, serving up stone baked sourdough pizza and Belgian waffles topped savory or sweet with things like muenster cheese and buffalo sauce or nutella and toasted marshmallows. Click here for more information.
- Vino & Vinyl Wine and Records Lounge | Wine – Take in the tastes of small production and artisan wines from California while the sounds of crackling vinyl fill the dining area. This locally-owned concept at Sugar Land Town Square offers a dining experience that focuses on special wines, savory bistro bites and unique vibes. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Sugar Land.
- Fielding’s Local Kitchen + Bar | American – This upscale American grill and steakhouse provides locally farmed meats and ingredients alongside an extensive list of wines, spirits and craft brews. Savor a 44 Farms ribeye topped with brandy green peppercorn, dig into a smothered pork chop, or delight in one of the many menu offerings at this Creekside Park stop. Click here for more information.
- The Kitchen | American – Tantalize your taste buds on the delectable menu items featured at The Kitchen, whether its breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Enjoy early morning staples, benedicts, sandwiches, and fresh catch plates at this local fav on Research Forest Drive. Click here for more information.
- Schilleci’s New Orleans Kitchen | Cajun – This Market Street mainstay serves up Creole classics, steak and New Orleans-inspired seafood specialties in their French Quarter-style digs. And though your sides might feel ready to split, don’t forget to top it off with an order of beignets. Click here for more information.
- Truluck’s Seafood Steak & Crab House | Seafood – On the shore of Lake Woodlands at Hughes Landing, this seafood fine dining experience offers delectable menu items like fresh crab and lobster, prime steaks, and seafood classics with a beautiful lakeside view. Click here for more information.
- Via Emilia Italian Restaurant | Italian – Take a tour of northern Italy with house-made pastas, braised meats, fresh seafood specialties and delicious desserts. This family-owned restaurant also boasts a vast cellar of thousands of wine bottles ready to perfectly complement your next lunch or dinner. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in The Woodlands.
- Bonfire Grill | American – Brick oven pizzas, bone-in pork chops and brown butter sage fettucine highlight the menu at this cozy Tomball spot that also offers live music and a wide selection of wines and spirits. Click here for more information.
- Cisco’s Salsa Co. | Mexican – Out of Southern California, this Tex-Mex spot offers Baja-style eats like tacos, burritos and enchiladas along with creative cocktails and handcrafted margaritas made from their selection of agave artisan tequilas. Click here for more information.
- Gianna’s Italian Kitchen | Italian – Enjoy the comforts of Italian home cooking with traditional dishes like the creamy fettucine carbonara, linguini with grilled shrimp, a variety of stuffed pastas and much more. Click here for more information.
- Mel’s Country Cafe | American – For nearly thirty years, this local staple has offered up their signature full-pound burgers and southern comfort foods like fried seafood, chicken fried steak and hush puppies. Click here for more information.
- Tejas Chocalate & Barbecue | Desserts, BBQ – Get the best of both worlds at the Tejas Chocolate Craftory, known for their pure chocolate making process that produces rich and delicate treats, as well their delicious smoked brisket and barbecue meats that are on offer from Tuesday through Saturday. Click here for more information.
Click here for more dining and restaurant options in Tomball.
This post was sponsored by Visit Houston. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.