Tune in for original live performances and concerts with Miller Outdoor Theatre’s new virtual series, broadcasting shows—some live from the Miller stage—on select dates in October and into November 2020.
After being dark since the before its 2020 season was set to debut in March, Miller Outdoor Theatre has debuted its new pivot into broadcasting original arts, entertainment and cultural events online. And, as always, it’s always free.
Some original content will be broadcast live from behind the curtain on the Miller stage in Hermann Park, but no in-person attendance will be permitted.
While the theater company anticipates returning to live performances in 2021, its new fall series presents an opportunity for Houstonians near and far to reconnect with Miller’s beloved programming.
Upcoming performances include the Houston Jazz Festival, an intimate performance by Zeshan B, Grupo de Teatro Índigo’s annual Dia de los Muertos production, and Aperio, Music of the Americas. Scroll down for details.
Miller Outdoor Theatre’s Virtual Series in October 2020
- Asia Society Texas Center presents In The Studio With Zeshan B | Friday, October 24, 2020 | FREE – Zeshan Bagewadi, best known as Zeshan B, presents an intimate digital performance of Indo-Pakistani soul music broadcast from his home studio in New York. His music mixes musical traditions he grew up listening to and is backed by a strong message of change. Framed by an intimate conversation with The Suffers’ Kam Franklin, Zeshan will perform and share insights into the songs from his latest album, Melismatic. 7:30pm to 9pm.
- Aperio, Music of the Americas presents Music by Copland, Piazzolla, D’Rivera & Bragato | Saturday, October 25, 2020 | FREE – Catch a stirring, live musical performance of chamber music drawn from the greater American continents, including Appalachian Spring, Graciela y Buenos Aires, Adios Nonino, Aires Tropicales: Afro & Contradanza, and Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5. Live-streamed from behind the curtain on the Miller stage. No in-person attendance. 7:30pm to 9pm.
- 2020 Houston Jazz Festival: The Houston Jazz Collective | Sunday, October 26, 2020 | FREE – This year’s virtual take on the Houston Jazz Festival opens with a performance by Shelley Carrol, who has assembled a supergroup of contemporary jazz greats including Grammy Winner and Funk Master Bobby Sparks II on keys, Mark Simmons on drums, and jazz bassist extraordinaire Jay McK. Live-streamed from behind the curtain on the Miller stage. No in-person attendance. 6pm to 7:30pm.
- 2020 Houston Jazz Festival: Message From Bu | Sunday, October 26, 2020 | FREE – In celebration of Art Blakey’s 101st birthday, the Houston Jazz Festival headliner features Bu’s Jazz Messengers, presented in partnership with the Art Blakey Estate and starring past Blakey Music Director Frank Lacy, Kansas native and saxophonist Bobby Watson, Valery Ponomarev, and Curtis Lundy. Live-streamed from behind the curtain on the Miller stage. No in-person attendance. 7:30pm to 9pm.
- FLAS & Grupo de Teatro Índigo present Calavera con Calavera | Friday, October 30, 2020 | FREE – Celebrate Dios de los Muertos with the seventh annual performance of an original play filled with musical numbers filled with Mexican songs and dances, and more. 7:30pm to 9pm.
This post was sponsored by the event organizer. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.