Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
Spice fiends can test their heat tolerance with takeout from these seriously good Thai restaurants (don’t worry, there are plenty of milder options, too), which are open and offering pickup and/or delivery. It was hard to choose just five, so we also want to give a shout-out to the Thai hot noodles and red curry duck at a longtime local favorite, Thai Gourmet.
5 Must Try Takeout Thai Options
- Asia Market Thai Lao Foods in Woodland Heights – Open for carry-out and reduced seating dine-in, this beloved mom-and-pop doubles as a Thai restaurant and Southeast Asian convenience store. Dine on specialties such as green papaya salad, kai jeow (Thai egg omelet), noodle dishes like pad thai, pad see ew, and boat noodle soup, pad kra pow (a house favorite stir-fry), and Isaan-style Northern Thai sausage. Order online for pickup or grab delivery via DoorDash, and don’t forget to note your spice preference, from mild and medium to hot, “Thai hot,” and “Raging Volcano.”
- Kin Dee Thai in the Heights – This brand-new Thai spot (from Thai-born friends Lukkaew Srasrisuwan and Miranda Loetkhamfu) takes inspiration from the four different regions of Thailand, rocking scratch-made noodle-based dishes that feature more unfamiliar Thai flavors. Try eats like the Money Bag (“tung thong” in Thai), deep fried minced chicken and shrimp wrapped in an edible golden paper; street food-style Moo Ping (grilled pork belly skewers); Southern-style Kanom Jeen Kaeng Khiao Wan (green curry over rice noodles), and Casseroled Shrimps, a shrimp claypot with crystal noodles. Call 281-826-2655 or order online.
- Street to Kitchen in the East End – At the beginning of August, this brand new spot opened for curbside pickup over on Harrisburg Boulevard (with plans to open for in-service dining one day, too). There, you’ll find “unapologetically Thai” food from Thai chef Benchawan Jabthong Painter (who worked with chef Justin Yu at Theodore Rex and earned more acclaim after a host of excellent pop-ups). Order up garlic chive pancakes, meaty Thai omelets, drunken noodles, medium-spiced Massaman curry, house fried chicken, and mango sticky rice. Call 713-428-1975 or get delivery via DoorDash.
- Thai Style Fast Food in Asiatown – Thai-style angel wings, deep fried fish cake, and pork jerky make for excellent starts at this Asiatown mom-and-pop (and when it’s not 100-degrees out, so does tom yum soup). Move on to chicken larb; green, yellow, and red curries; crispy chili fish; and stir-fried rice noodles. Order online for pickup.
- Vieng Thai in Spring Branch East – Home-style Thai cooking is the name of the game at this unassuming strip mall joint. Home to what many consider to be the best Thai in Houston, Vieng Thai delivers pick-up deliciousness like fried tofu in sweet chili sauce, garlic pork ribs, shrimp tom yum, spot-on larb, deep-fried whole tilapia, traditional Thai noodle dishes like pad thai and pad see ewe, and all kinds of curries, from Panaeng red curry with kaffir lime to green curry with eggplant and basil. Call 713-688-9910 to order.
Social Distancing & COVID-19 Precautions
Businesses around Greater Houston and the State of Texas are opening up and individual social distancing practices vary from location to location. Masks are still strongly encouraged and recommended to help reduce the spread of the virus and help protect our community.
Please contact this organizer directly if you have any questions about their operational guidelines during this time.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).