Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
From scratchmade pastas and bubbly, wood-fried pies to entrees like fall-off-the-bone ossobuco and Italian sorbet to-go, these local Italian restaurants will bring a taste of the Boot to your home.
5 Must Try Takeout Italian Spots in Houston
- BOH Pizza & Pasta in Downtown – Housemade pastas and al taglio (or “by-the-cut”) pizzas are both rockstar choices at Chef Ben McPherson’s superb Bravery Chef Hall spot. Those pastas come in the form of things like squid ink bucatini in frutti di mare sauce and pappardelle laced with a sumptuous veal Bolognese; while the deceivingly light and airy Roman-style pizzas sport everything from piquillo pepper and fennel sausage to olives and smoked gouda cream. Complete the affair with heirloom beets, garlicky chard, and whipped ricotta cannoli. Online ordering is available for curbside pickup and delivery.
- Coltivare in the Heights – Pre-pandemic, weekends would mean you’d be waiting a bit for a seat at this garden-to-table Agricole Hospitality favorite. These days, you can simply get your pizzas, pastas and yes, even cocktails to-go by calling in a pickup order at 713–637–4095 or 832-203-7890. May we suggest the arancini, roasted cauliflower, black pepper spaghetti, and wood-grilled chicken agrodolce? Oh, and maybe some Revival pepperoni pizza, heirloom squash with pecan gremolata, fresh fruit crostata, and family-sized tiramisu that feeds 3 to 4, too.
- Giacomo’s cibo e vino in River Oaks – This longtime favorite is known for its small plates and choice house pastas, currently offering a limited menu that you can order for curbside pickup. Start with roasted beets laced with crumbled goat cheese and toasted hazelnut, shrimp al diavolo, and Tuscan-style chicken liver crostini; then dig into housemade pastas from tortelli stuffed with swiss chard to tagliatelle Bolognese. Wines are available to go at 20-percent off dine-in prices with your food purchase. To order, call 713-522-1934 any time after 3pm. Line busy? You can also text your order to 832-245-1407, including your name, desired pick-up time, best contact number, and make and color of your vehicle.
- Roma in Rice Village – The a la carte takeout menu from this sophisticated Rice Village bistro will bring you straight to Italy’s capital. Dine on suppli’ alla romana (rice balls with peas and tomato sauce), fritto misto with Gulf shrimp and calamari, smoked gnocchi in saffron sauce and braised lamb shank with polenta. The team has also put together family-style options and a $29 multi-choice dinner. Call 713-664-7581 or get delivery via UberEats, Favor and GrubHub.
- Rosie Cannonball in Montrose – In addition to its new dine-in option, the open-air Spritz Patio, this popular Montrose eatery is offering a stellar to-go and delivery menu Wednesday to Sunday from 5pm to 9pm. Place an order online to enjoy plates from grilled Napa cabbage and cavatelli bolognese to basque chicken and speck & chili oil pizza. You’ll also find desserts like pints of sorbet, to-go wines, and refreshing cocktails like the Lambrusco Spritz and Cannonball Gin & Tonic.
Social Distancing & COVID-19 Precautions
Businesses around Greater Houston and the State of Texas are opening up and individual social distancing practices vary from location to location. Masks are still strongly encouraged and recommended to help reduce the spread of the virus and help protect our community.
Please contact this organizer directly if you have any questions about their operational guidelines during this time.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).