Sit back, relax, and tune in to our picks for what’s new to watch this week from Monday, August 3 to Sunday, August 9, 2020.
Every week, we’re gathering the latest in TV, movies, streaming specials and more in-the-moment programming worth watching.
So throw that popcorn in the microwave, kick your feet up, and read on to find what’s new to watch this week online from Monday, August 3 to Sunday, August 9, 2020.
What’s New to Watch This Week in Houston
- Immigration Nation | Available Monday, August 3 | Netflix – Take a deep dive into the United States’ present-day immigration system through the eyes of both immigrants affected by the system as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the organization itself. With access to Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s inner workings, this docu-series takes the viewer on a journey through the Department of Homeland Security and ICE to deliver a raw portrait of what it’s like to be caught in the ever-developing, flawed system we know today.
- Sam Jay: 3 In The Morning Comedy Special | Available Tuesday, August 4 | Netflix – SNL writer and comedian Sam Jay is back and she’s serving up more side-splitting comedy in her latest Netflix special filled with hilarious takes on relationships, nightmarish stories of being on the road and more. 3 In The Morning finds the beloved Dorchester native delivering plenty of unfiltered, jaw-dropping jokes for the first time since her 2018 album, Donna’s Daughter.
- An American Pickle | Available Thursday, August 6 | HBO Max – Starring Seth Rogen and based on Simon Rich’s New Yorker novella, this hilarious and surreal film follows Herschel Greenbaum, a struggling day worker who migrates to America in 1919 with the hope of a fresh start for his family. While working in the factory, Herschel tragicomically finds himself accidentally falling into a giant barrel of pickles and is sealed shut for more than a century. Fortunately for Herschel, the pickle brine preserves him as he was in 1919 and wakes to find himself in present-day Brooklyn. What has come of his family in his absence? Will his great-grandson, Ben (also played by Rogen) be able to come to his rescue? Find out when this absurd tale comes to life later this week.
- This Is Dominic Fike: The Next Big Thing? | Available Friday, August 7 | Hulu – Presented by the team behind New York Times’ popular investigative journalism podcast, The Daily, this series follows musician Dominic Fike as he works toward his very first album and worldwide tour. Likened to notable musicians including Lil Nas X, Frank Ocean, Post Malone and more, this “Cinderella story” finds a relatively unknown Dominic suddenly with the support of a $4 million album deal. Part of a 10-episode docu-series covering character-driven stories, watch on to find out if Dominic can live up to the hype surrounding his star-studded debut.
- Howard | Available Friday, August 7 | Disney+ – If you grew up on or are a fan of ’90s Disney classics, then this is the documentary for you. Step into the magical untold story of Howard Ashman, the larger-than-life lyricist credited to classic musical animations including The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Little Shop of Horrors. Featuring interviews with Howard’s family, co-workers and friends, as well as plenty of never-before-seen footage, this magical real-life tale pulls back the curtain on a Disney legend’s process that led to a high note in animated musical history.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).