Tune in and root on the home teams from the comfort of your couch with these Houston sports events in August 2020.
Just like that, we’re now in the second month of sports this summer.
July brought Houston a NWSL Challenge Cup trophy courtesy of the Houston Dash, while the Dynamo faced a hard out in the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando, Florida.
With baseball and basketball moving into their condensed seasons ahead of future playoffs, there’s plenty of must see games taking place in Houston sports this month.
How to Watch Houston Sports in August 2020
Houston Rockets & NBA Season
After suspending the 2019-2020 season in March amid a breakout of Coronavirus cases, the NBA returns to action from a safely managed “bubble” at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex within Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida.
The restarted season will see 22 eligible teams compete for playoff seeds before the playoffs begin on Monday, August 17, lasting through the second week of October 2020.
The Rockets come into the month of August as a virtual lock for the playoffs, ensuring their season should continue through the end of the month. While the playoff schedule will be finalized when teams are settled, there are other games in the month of August to tune into.
Must See Houston Rockets Games in August 2020
- Houston Rockets vs. Milwaukee Bucks: Live from Orlando, Florida | Sunday, August 2 – The second seeding game for the Rockets sees James Harden and Giannis Antetokounmpo face off in a battle of MVPs. ATT SportsNet-SW and ABC. 7:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trailblazers: Live from Orlando, Florida | Tuesday, August 4 – Damian Lillard and the Blazers sit just outside the playoff picture in the West, making this a game with a lot at stake for both sides. ATT SportsNet-SW and TNT. 8pm
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Live from Orlando, Florida | Thursday, August 6 – The Rockets’ small ball lineup gets another run at LeBron James, Anthony Davis and the Los Angeles Lakers in a highly anticipated matchup. ATT SportsNet-SW and TNT. 8pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs: Live from Orlando, Florida | Tuesday, August 11 – The I-10 rivalry adds another game to its history when the Rockets face Greg Popovich’s Spurs from San Antonio who are unlikely to see the postseason. ATT SportsNet-SW and NBA TV. 1pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Philadelphia 76ers: Live from Orlando, Florida | Friday, August 14 – Closing out the seeding games, the Rockets will have a shot at an Eastern Conference favorite before embarking on their playoff run just a few days later. ATT SportsNet-SW. Time TBD.
Houston Astros & MLB Season
Opening Day may have slid a few months in the schedule, but batters are finally stepping up to the plate during a regional, modified season that will see teams play just sixty games before the October Classic gets underway.
The condensed schedule will see the Houston Astros take the field for a flurry of games practically every day through September. Fans won’t be allowed in the stadiums during the season, so those in H-town will have to cheer on from home.
In July, the Astros opened their season against the Seattle Mariners, notching three wins from four games, and faced the Los Angeles Dodgers in a contentious back-to-back series of two home losses.
Must See Houston Astros Games in August 2020
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels: Live from Angel Stadium of Anaheim | Sunday, August 2 – Closing out their first road series of the season, the Astros finish up a three-game stand in Los Angeles before heading to Arizona later in the week. ATT SportsNet-SW. 3:10pm.
- Houston Astros vs. San Francisco Giants: Live from Minute Maid Park | Monday, August 10 – After nearly two weeks on the road, the ‘Stros are back in town to open a three-game series against the San Francisco Giants. ATT SportsNet-SW. 8:10pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels: Live from Minute Maid Park | Monday, August 24 – Finishing out the month at home, the Astros match up again with the Angels of Anaheim for the first of a four-game series. ATT SportsNet-SW. 8:10pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Oakland Athletics: Live from Minute Maid Park | Friday, August 28 – Having moved back from its traditional date of April 15, Jackie Robinson Day is an annual celebration of the life, values and accomplishments of baseball’s first Black player. The Astros will honor Jackie Robinson in this first of three games against the Oakland Athletics. ATT SportsNet-SW. 8:10pm.
Houston Dynamo & MLS Season
After a safe and successful MLS is Back Tournament this summer, Major League Soccer is looking to get teams back to playing games in their home markets for what is being called Phase 1 of the restarted season.
For the most part, that will mean games are played without fans (particularly in higher risk areas like Houston) through mid-September when the league will re-assess and schedule matches for Phase 2.
The Dynamo had a rough go at the MLS is Back Tournament, not able to notch any wins though bagging plenty of goals in draws and losses. They’ll look for their first win at these must-see matches:
Must See Houston Dynamo Games in August 2020
- Houston Dynamo vs. FC Dallas: Live from BBVA Stadium | Friday, August 21 – The first game of Phase 1 will see the Dynamo taking on their longtime rivals from up north, when Dallas visits BBVA Stadium. Broadcast live on QuestTEXAS channel 55. 7pm.
- Houston Dynamo vs. Sporting Kansas City: Live from Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City | Tuesday, August 25 – The squad from Kansas City finds themselves trying to right their season following a Quarterfinal exit in Orlando. They’ll host Houston and you can catch the broadcast on QuestTEXAS channel 55. 7:30pm.
Houston Texans & NFL Season
One of the few leagues not affected by suspension of play in March, NFL embarks on their upcoming 2020 season next month, with a few tweaks, including daily testing for personnel.
NFL preseason in August has been cancelled, which means Texans action will get underway in a full, non-condensed season on Thursday, September 10 against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).