Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
We’re sure you’ve had takeout dinners and lunches by now, but have you looked into outsourcing the most important meal of the day—breakfast? Start your day right by digging into these morning takeout spots in Houston.
5 Must Try Takeout Breakfasts in Houston
- The Breakfast Klub in Midtown – This Black-owned favorite means business when it comes to breakfast. While in normal times, you’d find a line of hungry patrons outside the door, you can now get your tbk classics via carryout and delivery. Order online and fill up on the eatery’s famous wings & waffle, biskits & gravy, breakfast “klub” sandwiches, and katfish & grits (plus coffee, of course); and check out the family packs, which feed 4-5 people.
- EggHaus Gourmet in Shady Acres – Breakfast is reimagined at this morning haunt from the team behind King’s Biergarten and King’s BierHaus. Get bacon, egg, and cheese sammys on griddled pretzel or warm butter-flake buns; next-level kolaches stuffed with brats & Swiss, sweet cream cheese or jalapeño and smoked sausage (available a la carte or by the dozen); croissants in flavors from banana pudding to matcha; and breakfast tacos loaded with things like chipotle chorizo, bell peppers, and cage-free egg. Even better, you can get it all to-go with its easy online ordering system.
- Golden Bagel in the Heights – Some of this city’s finest bagels sit at this little shop off White Oak, where you’ll find real-deal New York-caliber, housemade schmears, house cured and smoked fish, and Katz Coffee. Get everything, garlic-onion, and cinnamon raisin bagels by the dozen with cream cheeses—in flavors from honey habanero to scallion dill—or try the bagel sandwiches stacked with things like pastrami scramble and cream cheese & lox. We should mention there are bagel dogs, too. The shop has currently switched to takeout only, and you can order online (or show up with a mask and order outside) for pickup.
- Koffeteria in EaDo – This whimsical bakery and café comes from pastry chef Vanarin Kuch (whose past credits include being the opening chef of Tiny Boxwoods and being a contestant on Top Chef: Just Desserts and Chopped). Kuch’s creativity shines through dishes like the brisket pho quiche and Chinese sausage and egg Danish, and you’ll also find well done staples from buttermilk biscuits & gravy to sticky buns topped with toasted coconut. Order takeout and delivery online, and add on drinks like the Cocao Nib Cold Brew and Salted Caramel Latte.
- Pondicheri in Upper Kirby – This vibrant Indian street food spot serves up a menu of tasty offerings like the Masala egg and cilantro chutney-laded Breakfast Frankie, Avocado Dosa finished with roasted mushroom and avocado masala, and a Bombay Benedict with pav bhaji masala, poached eggs and pickled hollandaise on brioche. You can order it all for takeout online (or delivery via Favor), along with eats from its sibling establishment, the upstairs Bake Lab, where you’ll find carrot quinoa muffins, chocolate almond cake, and chai pie.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).