Sit back, relax, and tune in to our picks for what’s new to watch this week from Monday, July 27 to Sunday, August 2, 2020.
Every week, we’re gathering the latest in TV, movies, streaming specials and more in-the-moment programming worth watching.
So throw that popcorn in the microwave, kick your feet up, and read on to find what’s new to watch this week online from Monday, July 27 to Sunday, August 2, 2020.
What’s New to Watch This Week in Houston
- Samantha Brown’s Places to Love: Houston, Texas with Commentary | Available Now | Facebook Live – Revisit the H-Town love letter that launched Samantha Brown’s PBS series (also viewable online), with a live COVID-19 era commentary screening, newly broadcast on Facebook Live last week. Brown and her husband and production partner Kevin O’Leary discuss their discovery of and delight at getting to know our city, and their interactions with notable Houstonians like graffiti artist Gonzo247, Saint Arnold Brewing Company founder Brock Wagner, and James Beard Award-winning Chef Hugo Ortega. The episode debuted post Harvey, in the fall of 2017 (filmed in the summer before the storm hit). You can also watch the full original episode (and the three seasons that followed it) on SamanthaBrown.com. Scroll down to watch the full commentary on Facebook Live.
- Last Chance U: Laney: Season 5 Premiere | Available Tuesday, July 28 | Netflix – The Emmy-nominated and highly-praised docu-series from Netflix about junior college football is back again for another season of tumultuous action on and off the field. With a fresh setting in Oakland, you can follow reigning national champions Laney College as team members take on stress, recover from injuries, and the expectations that come with being “Laney Built.”
- Stockton On My Mind | Available Tuesday, July 28 | HBO Max – The first African American mayor of his hometown of Stockton, California, as well as the youngest mayor of a major American city, Stockton On My Mind follows Mayor Michael Tubbs after his election at the age of 26. Having spent the majority of his life amid poverty and danger, Tubbs seeks to come together with other residents of Stockton for a much-needed change to their city.
- In My Skin: Series Premiere | Available Thursday, July 30 | Hulu – Riddled with teenage anxiety and the tragicomic insecurities that face sixteen-year-olds, Bethan Gwyndaf takes both the ache and laughs in stride. This witty BBC dark comedy finds Bethan doing her darndest to keep her mother’s mental illness hidden from her school mates while navigating an age that isn’t easy to conquer.
- Muppets Now: Series Premiere | Available Friday, July 31 | Disney+ – From at-home tips with Miss Piggy to laboratory fun with Bunsen and Beaker, Muppets Studio’s first unscripted series is packed with crazy skits. Hosted by the entire Muppets cast, Muppets Now exudes off-the-wall energy and plenty of surprise guests. If you’re a fan of The Muppet Show, tune in for even more classic Muppet fun. Try Disney+ free for 7 days.
- Sugar Rush: Extra Sweet: Season 3 Premiere | Available Friday, July 31 | Netflix – Get ready for over-the-top, sugar-coated competition when four teams face off to beat the clock and one another while creating award-winning sweet treats. With three rounds of competition, each episode is filled with bittersweet victories, delicious creations, and even sweeter prizes. If you’re new to the series, expect fast-paced baking and over-the-top cupcakes, desserts and more.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).