Find out where and how you can tune in to hometown teams so you can revel in the return of Houston sports for July 2020.
Though the month of July is nearly over, sports are just getting started again after a lengthy hiatus due to Coronavirus. The Dash and Dynamo are still competing in their respective tournaments while MLB and NBA are slated to get underway before the end of the month.
But while everyone is excited to see them back in action, fans won’t be a part of the sports experience for awhile, so that means you’ll have to watch your beloved teams from H-Town at home.
Scroll below to see how you can watch the hometown teams compete this month.
Houston Dash & NWSL Challenge Cup Final
After a month of thrilling moments, the NWSL Challenge Cup comes to a close in the shadow of the Wasatch Mountains near Salt Lake City, Utah—and Houston is on the brink of winning it all.
The Houston Dash, for the first time in the club’s history, find themselves playing for a trophy after a tournament that has put their attacking prowess on display. With firepower from English International Rachel Daly, alongside Sophie Schmidt, Nichelle Prince and Brianna Vissali, and bolstered by the stunning stalwart goalkeeping of Jane Campbell, the Dash can deliver the club’s first taste of soccer success.
NWSL Challenge Cup Final: Houston Dash vs. Chicago Red Stars
- Date: Sunday, July 26, 2020
- Time: 11:30am
- Where: Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah
- Watch: CBS Network, and streaming online with CBS All Access. Click here to sign up for a free seven-day trial of CBS All Access.
Houston Astros & MLB 2020 Season
Opening Day may have slid a few months in the schedule, but batters are finally stepping up to the plate during a regional, modified season that will see teams play just sixty games before the October Classic gets underway.
The condensed schedule will see the Houston Astros take the field for their home opener this weekend, followed by a flurry of games practically every day through September. Fans won’t be allowed in the stadiums during the season, so those in H-town will have to cheer on from home.
Must See Games
- Houston Astros vs. Seattle Mariners: Live from Minute Maid Park | Friday, July 24 – With the official home opener to the 2020 season, and the first of a four game series with the Mariners, the Astros look to continue the momentum from a strong training camp. Watch on ATT SportsNet-SW. 8:10pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Dodgers at Minute Maid Park | Tuesday, July 28 & Wednesday, July 29 – This classic showdown is a back-to-back series that wraps up six consecutive days of baseball to open the season, before the ‘Stros fly out to face the Angels. You can catch the first game of this series on FS1, while both games will also air on ATT SportsNet-SW. Tuesday at 8:10pm, Wednesday at 6:10pm.
Houston Rockets & NBA 2020 Season
After suspending the 2019-2020 season in March amid a breakout of Coronavirus cases, the NBA returns to action from a safely managed “bubble” at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex within Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida.
The restarted season tips off this week with scrimmage play, before the 22 eligible teams compete in eight games intended to finalize playoff seeds, starting on Thursday, July 30. The NBA playoffs are expected to begin on Monday, August 17 and last through the second week of October 2020.
The Houston Rockets, who were about ten games into a lineup experiment without a center when play was suspended, sound confident in their abilities to outscore and outmatch opponents with the Hall of Fame-caliber play of James Harden and Russell Westbrook, alongside a stellar cast of P.J. Tucker, Robert Covington, and Eric Gordon.
Must See Games
- Houston Rockets vs. Toronto Raptors: Live from Orlando, Florida | Friday, July 24 | Scrimmage Play – The first competitive game for the Rockets since March 10 will take place against the defending NBA champions from Toronto. Watch on NBA TV. 6:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks: Live from in Orlando, Florida | Friday, July 31 | Seeding Game – The Rockets tip off the first of their eight games to determine playoff seeds against their rivals from up north, the Dallas Mavericks. Watch on ATT Sportsnet-SW and ESPN. 8pm.
Houston Dynamo & MLS is Back Tournament
Major League Soccer is back underway, after a suspension of play just weeks into the start of the 2020 season. The new World Cup-style tournament, taking place alongside the NBA at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex within Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida, features a group stage of games before knockout rounds that begin on Saturday, July 25.
Two games into the group stage, the Dynamo find themselves in a tough hole to crawl from, sitting third in the group with a single point after a goal-filled draw with Los Angeles F.C. and a loss to the Portland Timbers.
Their admission to the knockout rounds will be reliant on winning their game against the LA Galaxy by several goals, and seeing the Portland Timbers trounce LAFC in the game that follows the Dynamo.
Houston Dynamo vs. Los Angeles Galaxy
- Date: Thursday, July 23, 2020
- Time: 7pm
- Where: ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida
- Watch: FS1 and TUDN. Click here for more information.
Houston Texans & NFL 2020 Season
One of the few leagues not affected by suspension of play in March, NFL embarks on their upcoming 2020 season next month, with many players still voicing concern about safety.
The Houston Texans are slated to begin their abbreviated preseason on Friday, August 14 against the Minnesota Vikings, while the regular season—expected to be a full, non-condensed season—starts on Thursday, September 10 against the Kansas City Chiefs.
As of now, questions remain about testing protocol, as well as other safety measures, so schedules are subject to change as these games grow nearer.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).