Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
Fun fact: Houstonians love tacos, and this city is absolutely filled with choice taquerias. From the most classic taco trucks to a bbq joint serving tacos with brisket-fat tortillas, here are five takeout taco options to hit up right now:
5 Must Try Takeout Taco Spots in Houston
- Chilosos Taco House in the Heights – You’ll want to try the fat and fluffy housemade tortillas from this longtime, family-run taco house on 20th (and with a second location in Cypress). Those come packed things like chorizo & egg, beans and Mexican papas, and even chilaquiles for breakfast; and everything from carne guisada and verde pork to barbacoa and chicken fajita for lunch. Call 713-868-2273 or order online for pickup.
- La Calle in Downtown – Open for pickup and delivery, this Downtown haunt showcases the flavors of Mexico City via a whole lotta tacos. Get them filled with 20-ingredient barbacoa, pastor marinated in chiles and achiote, carnitas cooked in a traditional steel “cazo” for over 8 hours, shrimp and aguachile ceviche, pescado asado, nopalitos cactus, and tasty, crunchy chicharron. There are breakfast tacos, too of course. Order online.
- The Pit Room in Montrose – Tacos and smoke unite to make one helluva takeout meal at this cult favorite bbq joint. Here, the tortillas are laced with brisket fat, and the tacos come stuffed with things like smoked brisket, cheddar, sour cream, and salsa roja, or smoked chicken verde, griddled cheese, and charred garlic. Don’t forget the chicharrones with house hot sauce. Call 281-888-1929 for curbside pickup.
- Taco Fuego in the Galleria – You can find this hot new food truck parked off Westheimer and Hullsmith over in the Galleria area. That’s where you can score quesabirria—think of it like a quesadilla and taco hybrid packed with steak, brisket, bone marrow, and melty Oaxacan cheese, with a side of consommé to dip it all in. Pop by (with a mask) and grab some to go—be sure add on elote and limeade for good measure.
- Tacos Tierra Caliente in Montrose– This super popular, real deal taco truck sits parked in a lot next to West Alabama Ice House (along with other locations around the city, including a gas station in the Heights). One sweet day you’ll be able to enjoy one along with an ice-cold beer at the ice house, but until then, you can still snag some tacos to go. These tiny little numbers run you $1.50 to $2 a pop, filled with perfectly done pork pastor and trompo, barbacoa, chicken, beef fajita and lengua, and chicharron. Choose corn or flour tortillas, say yes to cilantro and diced onion, and ask for the roja and verde salsas.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).