Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
The Houston vegan scene is poppin’, so you can always work plant-based, healthful foods into your takeout rotation. These five spots are a great place to start:
5 Must Try Takeout Vegan Spots in Houston
- Green Seed Vegan in Historical Third Ward – Over on Almeda, you’ll find this Black-owned business highlighting plant-based food and drink seven days a week. That means you can feel good about grubbing on meals like a fresh panini loaded with everything from grilled plantains and peanut butter to maple jerk glazed tempeh and curry garbanzo chicken salad; handheld delights like the illy cheesesteak and dirty burque quinoa burger; raw vegan eats including kelp and veggie noodle tigerbowls and coco tacos; and extras from cauli nuggets to gluten-free matcha macadamia blondies. Call 713-487-8346 or order online for pickup; or snag delivery via UberEats, Favor, GrubHub, and Postmates.
- Govinda’s Vegetarian Cuisine in Garden Oaks – Normally a popular Indian buffet restaurant, this vegan and vegetarian spot has pivoted during the pandemic, offering a special takeout menu that changes daily. Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays are when you’ll find the all-vegan menu, and you can order pickup and pay online or get delivery via UberEats. Lookout for the current menu details on Facebook, with eats from eggplant masala and saag aloo to vegan rice pudding.
- Pepper Tree Veggie Cuisine in Upper Kirby – Dig into home-style vegan Asian fare at this Richmond standby. Order online and get crispy eggrolls packed with cabbage, carrots, and vermicelli; General Tso’s “chicken” and sweet & sour vegan “fish” sticks; sizzling tofu and curry vegetables; and a cult favorite vegan coconut cake for dessert.
- Soul Food Vegan in Third Ward – With a goal to end food deserts and provide soulful nutrition to the community, this Black-owned business offers plant-based comfort food that is strictly vegan. Munch on Beyond Beef bbq burgers, jambalaya, boudin balls and okra gumbo, cauliflower steaks, mushroom po’boys, and Cajun spaghetti (kids’ eats and desserts are available, too). Call 713-429-4388 or find the goods on delivery apps like UberEats, GrubHub, and Seamless.
- Verdine in the Heights – Asian-style orange cauliflower, white “cheddar” mac, jackfruit carnitas, and Beyond Meat pepperoni pizzas are all on the menu at this hip vegan kitchen—as are sweet potato fries, bistro burgers, and daily baked donuts. There’s also Sunday brunch with dishes from migas and avocado toast to chicken-fried tempeh wings ‘n waffles. Order online, call 713-876-4768 for pickup, or get delivery via Favor, Postmates, and UberEats.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).