Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
Getting a little tired of your quarantine turkey sandwich? These five Houston sandwich shops have you covered with takeout, curbside, and delivery options.
5 Must Try Takeout Sandwich Shops
- B&B Butchers & Restaurant in Washington Corridor – You’ll want to hit up the butcher shop at this New York-inspired steakhouse and deli. That’s where you’ll find offerings like the B&B Italian Special, a deli sandwich with Italian ham, salami, capicola, mortadella, provolone, and roasted red peppers; or RJ’s Roast Beef, with dry-aged sirloin, swiss cheese, whole grain mustard, and sweet or hot peppers on a crusty hero. Call 832-767-4828 or order online with Favor or DoorDash.
- Common Bond in Montrose and more – This homegrown bakery and café is expanding its footprint around the city, with locations in Montrose, the Heights, the Med Center, and now, a new to-go spot in the old Lee’s Fried Chicken & Donuts location off Heights Boulevard. Sandwich options range from French dips and croque madame to smoked salmon croissants and ham & cheese baguettes. Online ordering is available for pickup at the Montrose, Med Center, and 19th Street Heights locations.
- Mendocino Farms in Rice Village and more – Reuben melts with smoky thousand island dressing, “not so fried” chicken on toasted ciabatta, Peruvian steak tortas, and vegan banh mi with tofu & sweet chili sauce are all on the menu at this Cali import. The sandwich market now has three locations in Houston: Rice Village, Downtown, and Uptown Park. Order online for curbside and delivery.
- Kenny & Ziggy’s New York Delicatessen in the Galleria and more – Curbside service is still available at the Post Oak location of Houston’s favorite New York-style deli. Get towering triple deckers loaded with things like housemade corned beef and pastrami, deli turkey, melty Swiss, coleslaw and Russian dressing. Or go for the Knish Knosh, an open-faced sandwich where a potato knish acts as the base. Call 713-871-8883 for pickup or look for delivery on Favor and Postmates.
- Local Foods in the Heights and more – Order online or call the nearest location of this refreshing local favorite to get your hands on sandwiches like the truffled egg salad, “crunchy chicken” on a pretzel bun, Gulf seafood with green goddess dressing, and the vegan meatball. Each comes with two sides or a cup of soup, with choices from classic chicken posole and Tuscan kale salad to housemade chips and seasonal fruit. Both takeout and local delivery are available.