Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
It doesn’t matter if it’s 90-something-feels-like-100-something degrees out in Houston. The weather won’t stop locals from loving on pho—the rich, spiced Vietnamese noodle soup that’s pretty much an instant mood booster. With that in mind, we’re covering five fantastic noodle bars where you can currently score your pho to-go.
Note: While there is no shortage of choice pho spots around Houston, for the purposes of this list, we are focusing on those within the Loop.
5 Must Try Takeout Pho Shops
- Café TH in EaDo – Get your aromatic beef noodle soup with sliced flank, cooked brisket, flavorful beef meatballs, or all of the above at this popular hole-in-the-wall. Other soup options include the Friday-only Bun Rieu, a crabmeat and pork noodle soup in a porky-tomato broth, Vegan Pho with tofu and summer squash, and the Bo Kho, a rich beef stew served with banh mi, rice noodles, or egg noodles. Tack on goi cuon (shrimp rolls) or cha gio (fried rolls) for good measure. Call 713-225-4766 for takeout and curbside pickup.
- Huynh in EaDo – Sitting just behind the George R. Brown Convention Center, this family-owned and operated mom-and-pop has been feeding locals homestyle Vietnamese fare for decades (it was originally known as Pho Huynh over on Milam in Midtown). Today, you’ll find bo luc lac (stir-fried beef tenderloin), goi vit (pulled duck salad), bun thit nuong (chargrilled pork vermicelli), and pho, offered in vegetable, chicken, and beef variety. Order it online for pickup or get delivery via DoorDash.
- Les Noo’dle in Montrose – Pho Bo (beef), Pho Ga (chicken), and Pho Chay (vegan) are all on the menu at this modern noodle shop. The deep, rich beef broth is a fan favorite, slow-cooked for 24 hours with aromatic spices like cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, and cloves. Fresh-made noodles add the perfect bite, and you’ll want to add a poached egg yolk (and sides like the smoked brisket spring roll and Vietnamese street corn), too. Order online for curbside pickup.
- Pho Binh in The Heights and more – A longtime cult favorite since 1983, Pho Binh now has multiple locales throughout the city. You can order online for pickup at both the Heights and Westheimer locations, and delivery is available via Favor as well. Get your rich broth with rare steak, tender brisket, fatty flank, meatballs, chicken, shrimp, tofu, and more, and add in items from boiled egg to bone marrow.
- Pho Saigon in Midtown and more – Rocking five locations in Houston, this old school pho bar offers a variety of noodle soups, from the #9 Special Combination Pho Bo with eye round steak, well done flank, fatty brisket, soft tendon, white omasum beef tripe, and beef meatballs to chicken Pho Ga and the seafood-loaded Pho Do Bien with shrimp, fishballs, and crab stick. Call your nearest location to place a to-go order.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).