Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our Dining “Out” at Home series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
There is a time for ordering extra-large pepperoni pies and deep-fried everything, but ordering in doesn’t always have to be a gluttonous affair. These wholesome restaurants are offering healthy, nutrient-forward fare that will both satisfy and fuel the mind, body, and soul; and it’s all available to-go.
5 Must Try Healthy Takeout Options
- Green Seed Vegan in the Museum District – Plant-based food and drink are the name of the game at this Almeda haunt. Score fresh-pressed panini loaded with things like spinach, peanut butter & caramelized plantain, or garbanzo tempeh with jalapeño & lemongrass aioli. Favorites also include the portobello mushroom “Illy Cheesesteak,” raw veggie Tiger Bowl, and Cali sandwich with chicken-fried cauliflower. Tack on cold pressed juices and wheatgrass shots when you text or call in your takeout order at 713-487-8346; or get delivery via UberEats, Favor, GrubHub, and Postmates.
- Green Vegetarian Cuisine in Bellaire – Open for both takeout and delivery (via DoorDash and Favor), this Texas-based plant-forward spot gives you a way to stay healthy and happy at home. Grub on meatless, nutritious comfort foods from falafel burritos and quinoa Monk’s Bowls to chickpea veggie and Beyond Meat burgers with all the proper fixin’s. There are appetizers, desserts, and kids options, too. Those picking up can order straight from the restaurant online.
- Flower Child in Uptown Park – With locations in Uptown Park, The Woodlands, and a soon-to-be spot in the Heights, this health-minded chain is very much welcomed in Houston.Get takeout options like the Vietnamese Crunch salad, Glow Bowl, Flying Avocado Wrap, and $44 Family Pack, which feeds 4-6 and features choices such as grilled chicken, salmon (+$8), yuzo brussels sprouts, gluten-free mac and cheese, red chile glazed sweet potato, and a large veggie chopped salad. Order online for curbside pickup and contactless delivery.
- Verdine in The Heights – This popular vegan spot offers taste with a purpose, with to-go service on its local, organic, plant-based eats available Tuesday-Sunday (with brunch on Sunday). Fuel your body with rainbow mixed salad, coconut tofu bowls, jackfruit carnitas, organic lentil-walnut burgers with the works. Call in your pickup order at, or order online and at the counter (delivery is also available on Favor, Postmates, and UberEats). Those picking up directly from the restaurant are asked to kindly wear masks.
- Vibrant in Montrose – This wellness-focused homegrown haunt offers contactless takeaway and delivery (via Favor) on its goods. Order online or phone by 832-409-6423 and you can snag root veggie muffins, cauliflower crust pizza, chicken enchiladas and Gulf fish tacos on almond flour tortillas, green curry and greens & grains bowls, and morning favorites like breakfast tacos, chia pudding, and buckwheat pancakes. Bulk foods from smoked salmon spread and romesco sauce to quarts of bone broth and gluten-free foccacia are available, too.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).