Honor those who served with virtual tributes, specials on Memorial Day meals, events and more for Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 2020.
It’s a very different start to summer than we’re all used to, but there are still opportunities to celebrate our nation’s heroes with one of several Memorial Day events from the comfort of your home.
Memorial Day 2020 Virtual & Social Distanced Events
- World War II Memorial in The Heights | Daily | FREE – Pay your respects (or jog by) the long-standing memorial to Houston veterans of WWII along the Paul Carr Running Trail in the Heights Boulevard median. Add another patriotic level and drive by Mount Rush Hour alongside I-45 or even the storage yard for David Adickes other president heads on Nance.
- Forest Park Lawndale Funeral Home & Forest Park Lawndale presents Memorial Day Remembrance Service | Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 | FREE – Forest Park Lawndale Funeral Home & Forest Park Lawndale hosts a Memorial Day service for veterans. For a virtual experience, you can watch live on Forest Park Lawndale’s Facebook page. 11am to 1pm.
- Memorial Day in Memorial City: A Virtual Musical Tribute on Facebook Live | Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 | FREE – Memorial City presents a Memorial Day Musical Tribute virtual concert on Facebook Live. The broadcast will have a Presentation of Colors by the VFW Post 8790 and a 30-minute musical performance by the Charlie Perez Trio, featuring Taps, the National Anthem, and other patriotic songs. 2pm.
- Inspiration Stage presents The Greatest 10 Minute Musical Ever Written on Facebook Live and YouTube | Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 | FREE – Inspiration Stage presents the premiere of The Greatest Ten Minute Musical Ever Written! by iTheatrics masterminds Timothy Allen McDonald and Rob Rokicki as part of the Play At Home project. This event will be held on Inspiration Stage’s Facebook and YouTube page. 6pm.
- The Montrose Center presents Salute the Drag Virtual Event on Facebook Live | FREE – Join The Broad’s Way and the Montrose Center for Salute the Drag: A Memorial Day Celebration on Facebook live. Hosted by Regina Thorne-DuBois, the Montrose Center will be live-streaming a patriotic salute to drag and broadway on their Facebook page featuring performances from regular cast members of The Broad’s Way: Carmina Vavra, Wesley Whitson, Suttyn-Leigh Seymour, Ronna Mansfield, and the Center’s own Marcus Hooks. 6pm to 7pm.
- Rooftop Cinema Club presents The Drive-In at Sawyer Yards | Daily – During the COVID-19 crisis, Rooftop Cinema Club in Uptown has joined forces with Sawyer Yards in Arts District Houston for a special drive-in movie screening experience featuring classic and beloved films. For Memorial Day Monday, they will be screening Grease and Bohemian Rhapsody. Tickets are priced per vehicle and range from $28 (side view) to $35 (center view) most nights. There are two screenings each night, at 8:15pm and again around 10:45pm or 11pm, depending on the length of the first movie screened.
Memorial Day Delivery & Pick-Up Specials Around Houston
- Saint Arnold Brewing Company | Through Friday, May 22 – Pick up a Memorial Day Weekend Grill at Home Pack from Saint Arnold’s Brewery. The kit includes 2 1/2 pounds of hand-formed burger patties, 2 housemade Amber Ale Bratwursts, potato salad, a 6 pack of beer or cider and more. $65. You must order by Friday, May 22, 2020.
- Guard and Grace | Through Saturday, May 23 – Make the most of Memorial Day weekend with an individual or family-style grill kit from Guard and Grace in Downtown. Each kit comes complete with grilling tips and tricks from Chef Troy and a sample of their signature proprietary steak rub. Purchase two meals kits and your bottle of wine is available at 50% off. Memorial Day orders must be placed and picked up by Saturday, May 23, 2020.
- Feges BBQ | Through Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 – In celebration of Memorial Day, Feges BBG is offering their BBQ in bulk menu at all three locations this week. Choose from pulled pork, beef rib rack, and sides like pimento mac and cheese, braised collard greens and more. Menu prices vary. Orders can be ready 15 minutes after you place your order, or you can pre-order and specify a pick-up time.
- Molina’s Cantina | Through Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 – Honor those who served at Molina’s Cantina this holiday weekend while you kick back with $6.50 Molina’s Margaritas. Featuring 100% agave tequila, Triple Sec, and fresh lime, guests can choose between shaken or frozen.
- State Fare Kitchen & Bar | Saturday, May 23 through Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 – State Fare Kitchen & Bar offers an at-home BBQ Grilling Kit for you to use in your own backyard, charcoal included. The Memorial Day Grilling Kits are $83.20. The Grill Kits are available for pre-order now and the deadline to order is Saturday, May 23. Kits can be picked up Saturday, May 23 through Monday, May 25, 2020, during business hours.
- Ouzo Bay | Saturday, May 23 through Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 – Indulge in champagne and caviar this Memorial Day weekend with luxury picnic baskets to-go from the River Oaks District restaurant, Ouzo Bay. Guests can pre-order a decadent basket. Ouzo Bay is featuring a lavish meal for four that includes 1 bottle of Greek sparkling wine, 2 signature dips with pita, 2 village salads, 2 crab cakes, 2 orders of short ribs, and 2 pieces of Baklava to finish for $325.
- NASA-inspired “Freedom 7” Bottle-conditioned Wild Ale Limited Release To-Go at True Anomaly Brewing | Daily – Thursday, May 14 sees the release of True Anomaly’s first-ever bottle-conditioned release. Name for the spacecraft that made Alan Shepard the first American to visit travel to space, wild ale Freedom 7 is a Tart Saison with light spice characteristics with a mineral, pear aroma and soft acidity throughout. Limited to 350 bottles each of two varieties, they’re likely to go quickly to the brewery’s loyal fanbase. Orders are online, and pick-up only, limited to two bottles per variety, per customer, per day. $18 per 750ml bottle.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).