Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up (at 25% capacity during Phase 1). But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our “Dining ‘Out’ at Home” series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
Whether you’re feeding the entire family or are tired of cooking the same old meals for you and your quarantine partner, these takeout family-style meal packages will help take the guesswork out of mealtime.
5 Must Try Takeout Family-Style Packages
- Arnaldo Richards’ Pico’s in Upper Kirby – Fajita Feast Packs (with caramelized onions and roasted poblano peppers, fresh guacamole and pico de gallo, red and green salsas frescas, sour cream, cheddar cheese, housemade chips and your choice of rice, beans and tortillas) go from feeding 2-3 and 4-6 people all the way up to 21-25 (though we’re guessing you’ll have a ton of leftovers if you go that large right now). You can also snag bulk items from chips & queso and enchiladas by the half-dozen to quarts of mole and margarita packs. Create your own family meal and order online for curbside pickup or free delivery within certain zip codes. Note: The restaurant is also open for inhouse dining. Monday through Thursday 7am to 10pm; Friday and Saturday 7am to 11pm; Sunday 7am to 9pm.
- Better Luck Tomorrow in The Heights – While its closed for dine-in service, this Heights cocktail bar and kitchen from dynamic duo Bobby Heugel and Justin Yu has morphed into a takeout Chicken Shack. Order a Griddled or Fried Whole Chicken Dinner for four, featuring the tasty bird and three sides—think honey butter biscuits, dukkah-spiced baked sweet potato, and steamed corn with black pepper aioli—for $45. There’s a chocolate-frosted Texas Sheet Cake for $6 a slice that you may want to add on, too. Place orders for curbside pickup online, or over the phone starting at 11am. Monday to Saturday noon to 8pm.
- Cane Rosso in The Heights – This isn’t your regular takeout pizza joint. The Neapolitan-style dough slinger has snacks and shares, chopped salads, and family-size pastas available in its to-go menu, in addition to those wood-fired pies, of course. Get dishes like the brisket lasagna Bolognese big enough for 4-6 ($60), family-size spaghetti and meatballs or spaghetti and fried chicken parm ($40), and truffle carbonara for four ($40). Order online or call 713-868-0071 for curbside pickup and delivery. Sunday to Thursday 11am to 9pm; Friday to Saturday 11am to 10pm.
- Hungry’s in Rice Village and Memorial – Feed your entire crew with the Family Feasts from this local kitchen. The packs are available in Premium ($55, serves 4) with entrée choices from Southern Chicken Fried Chicken to Mediterranean Salmon, plus two sides like mashed potatoes with poblano cream sauce, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and herb basamati rice; and the Family Feast for Four ($45), with choices such as Mama’s Meatloaf and fixin’s, Lemon Pasta with Grilled Chicken, Penne Rustica with Jalapeño Sausage; and Vegan options like Tuscan Tofu and Spicy “Seitan” Beer Tacos. Add on family-sized salads and sides for $10 a pop; and order it all online for pickup or delivery. Daily 11am to 8pm.
- Roka Akor in River Oaks – For $35/person, you can get one hell of a family-style takeout meal from this Japanese sushi and steakhouse. Dig into Japanese fried chicken with chili aioli, hamachi serrano chili maki, Wagyu sirloin with sweet garlic soy, and fingerling potatoes with shiso chimichurri. There’s also the $99 per person Wagyu Meal—with A5 Japanese Miyazaki Wagyu and shrimp & lobster dumplings—if you want to really splurge. Order online. Tuesday to Sunday 4:30pm to 9:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).