Per Governor Greg Abbott’s plan to reopen Texas, restaurants are among the businesses allowed to open back up (at 25% capacity during Phase 1). But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. In our Dining “Out” at Home series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
Skip the Friday night pizza. Romantic date nights don’t have to end just because you’re stuck in the house. Order in from these popular date night favorites instead and you’ll score major points with your S.O.
- Doris Metropolitan in River Oaks – In addition to reopening its dining room, this sultry Israeli steakhouse will be continuing contact-free curbside pick-up and delivery for the foreseeable future. Take home the Dinner for Two ($125) and you’ll be treated to dishes like the stunning Moroccan tomato salad with egg yolk and feta, decadent Porterhouse for two, and sweet malabi rosewater milk pudding. Or dine a la carte and choose from popular menu items like the pistachio-and-goat-cheese-stuffed beetroot, tzatziki octopus, Moroccan-style Gulf fish, truffles fries, and bone-in ribeye. Call 713-485-0466. Tuesday to Sunday noon to 8pm (place orders by 5pm on Fridays and Saturdays).
- Étoile Cuisine et Bar in Uptown Park – French fare oozes romance, as does this Uptown Park French restaurant, where you can still get Chef Philippe Verpiand’s sophisticated French are to-go (in addition to dine-in services). Share plates of mushroom ravioli in white truffle oil, heirloom tomato salad, and foie gras torchon; then decide whether or not you want to share your sole almondine, coq au vin, duck and pork cassoulet, or filet de boeuf & frites, done here in an “au poivre” black peppercorn-Cognac sauce. Call 832-668-5808 to order. Monday to Thursday 11am to 7pm; Friday to Saturday 11am to 8pm.
- Kata Robata in Upper Kirby – Chef Manabu “Hori” Horiuchi is known as one of the finest sushi chefs in the city, blending stellar technique with both traditional and modern takes on Japanese cuisine. Make date night a treat by ordering hamachi and Kobe beef rabata, Wagyu katsu sando, miso lobster mac & cheese, and razor-sharp cuts of sushi and sashimi—from tuna and toro to uni and spot prawn. Tack on sake or a bottle of wine for good measure. Order online for curbside pickup or call 713-526-8858 for delivery (within a 5-mile radius with a $125 minimum). Daily 4pm to 8:30pm.
- MAD Houston in River Oaks District – MAD Houston and sibling establishment BCN Taste & Tradition have combined forces to offer a takeout menu that will take journey you through Spain, no passport required. Start date night right with a make-your-own Gin & Tonic kit (available in flavors including elderflower and pink peppercorn & lime); then pick a few shareable noshes—think bacalao fritters, Segovian-style suckling pig empanadas, Manzanilla olives and pan con tomate with Spanish Ibérico ham. Mains run from grilled Spanish octopus and arroz negro to filet with Grandma’s sauce; and there’s almond-lemon tarta, gypsy arm sponge cake, and salted chocolate chip cookies for dessert, too. Order online or call 281-888-2770 between 4pm to 8:30pm Monday to Saturday and Sundays noon to 7pm for pickup at MAD Houston (delivery also available).
- Nobie’s in Montrose – This quaint date night spot switches up its menu daily, offering around 20-25 superbly good, seasonally and locally-focused dishes that are now available in to-go form. Choose from “Spread ‘em, Dip ‘em” items like baby brie with local honey and smoked grapes, old-fashioned chicken liver mousse, and the “dilly” pull-apart bread with housemade butter. Split plates like rabbit risotto, grilled carrots with smoked hummus, and Nonno’s pasta, a perfect tagliatelle Bolognese that is a staple on the constantly evolving menu. Don’t forget the olive oil cake and ice cream by the pint for dessert. Call 346-319-5919 for preorders starting at 2pm for curbside pickup between 4pm to 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).