Log on for an afternoon of remarkable Galveston Island architecture during the Virtual Galveston Historic Homes Tour on Saturday, May 9, 2020.
Returning in an online-only fashion this year, the Galveston Historic Homes Tour is offering digital visitors the chance to tune in for live walk-throughs of beloved historic homes on the island, take in talks and special presentations from historians and architectural experts, and enjoy special programming in one of Galveston’s signature events of the year.
The afternoon event is offered free to the public, though Galveston Historical Foundation encourages visitors to consider a $30 donation (the price of a typical homes tour ticket), or any other contribution of their choice.
Schedule of Events
Take in four island estates on the Virtual Galveston Historic Homes Tour, as well as the following programming, for an enriching afternoon of architectural wonder.
- Tour of the McKinney-McDonald House (1890). 1pm to 1:30pm.
- Galveston architecture lecture by GHF Executive Director Dwayne Jones. 1:30pm to 2:15pm.
- Tour of the William and Mary Margaret Moody III House (1938). 2:15pm to 2:45pm.
- Stephen Fox lecture on the architecture of John Staub. 2:45pm to 3:30pm.
- Tour of the Charles and Estelle Miller House (1899). 3:30pm to 4pm.
- Presentation by Plein Air Southwest. 4pm to 4:30pm.
- Tour of the James and Louise DeForest House (1883). 4:30pm to 5pm.
About Galveston Historical Foundation
Formed in 1954, Galveston Historical Foundation has since served as a non-profit entity devoted to historic preservation and history in Galveston County.
Over the last sixty years, Galveston Historical Foundation has expanded its mission to encompass community redevelopment, historic preservation advocacy, maritime preservation, coastal resiliency and stewardship of historic properties.
At this time, Galveston Historical Foundation is also offering online opportunities to interact with history on the island, including Facebook live lectures, special Instagram takeovers, virtual tours, homeschool programming and more. Click here for more information.
Virtual Galveston Historic Homes Tour
- Date: Saturday, May 9, 2020
- Time: 1pm to 5pm
- Location: Virtual tour available at Galveston History website and Facebook
- Admission: Free to the public; recommended donation of $30, or any amount, in support of Galveston Historical Foundation. Click here for more information or to make a donation.
This post was sponsored by Galveston Historical Foundation. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.