Per Governor Greg Abbott’s latest COVID-19 update, restaurants are among the businesses that are allowed to open back up (at 25% capacity during Phase 1) as of Friday, May 1, 2020. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many restaurants have chosen to continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, rocking some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. With our Dining “Out” at Home series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to your door.
First up on the agenda: brunch. Social distancing does not mean we have to lose out on the time-honored weekend tradition. These Houston hotspots rock smothered biscuits, hotcakes, and eggs galore.
5 Must Try Takeout Brunches
- Backstreet Cafe in River Oaks – Biscuits & andouille gravy, fried egg sandwiches and potato hash, jalapeño-spiked migas, and bacon & egg, veggie & egg, and brisket & egg tacos are all on the short but sweet curbside menu at this H-Town Restaurant Group brunch favorite. To make it a real deal brunch party, Blood Mary, Sangria, and Mimosa kits can be added to your food purchase, too. Call 713-521-2239 or order online, and they’ll bring the goods straight to your car upon arrival (delivery is also available via UberEats, GrubHub, Favor, and Postmates). Saturday and Sunday 10am to 1pm.
- Common Bond in the Heights, Medical Center & Montrose – How does breakfast in bed sound? There’s a to-go version on the weekend brunch menu at this neighborhood bakery & bistro. The package comes with your choice of two entrees—chef’s scramble, lox tartine, French toast & bacon, or biscuits & gravy—plus two croissants, fresh fruit and yogurt, and a mimosa package for $50. Guests can also order a la carte options including shrimp & grits, sausage & egg sandwiches, and pastries from chocolate croissant to kugelhopf, and there’s a kids menu as well. Order online and get curbside pickup at the location of your choosing. Saturday and Sunday 8am to 4pm (weekday breakfast also available).
- Dish Society in Galleria, Heights, Katy & Memorial – This farm-to-table kitchen sports online ordering for takeout and delivery at its four locations, with all-day breakfast options and a weekend brunch. Dig into avocado toast with a sunny-side egg and lemon mascarpone, smoked brisket & eggs with smoked gouda grits, and crazy good chicken & biscuits with gravy for smothering. Use the easy online ordering system for curbside pickup and delivery. Guests can also hit the Virtual Farmer’s Market to shop for groceries and household staples, and purchase a meal for a nurse/doctor/first responder for $15 (Dish Society will compile orders and deliver servings for 10+ to various hospitals and first responder units across Houston and surrounding areas). Saturday 7am to 3:30pm and Sunday 8am to 3:30pm (breakfast all-day).
- Rainbow Lodge in Shady Acres – This Houston institution has a Sunday brunch to-go, with offerings running from organic yogurt parfait and duck confit hash to braised buffalo short rib Benedicts and whiskey-laced croissant bread pudding. There are also kids items and cocktail kits to-go (including a house Bloody Mary kit that serves six). Call 713-861-8666 for pickup, and they’ll bring your order out to your car along with a $20 food gift card for your next dine-in visit. Sunday 10:30am to 2pm.
- Revival Market in Heights – You can treat yourself to brunch six days a week by ordering from this neighborhood standby, part of Agricole Hospitality’s stellar lineup of restaurants. The everything all-day menu features brunchy staples like market quiche, breakfast tacos, spicy fried chicken biscuit, and four kinds of toast: avocado, mushroom & goat cheese, smoked salmon, and croissant French toast. Tack on specialty morning beverages, from a lavender honey latte to a 20-hour cold brew. Call 713–880-8463 to order for pickup or delivery within the Heights, Montrose and Timbergrove vicinity. Tuesday through Sunday 8am to 2pm.