Per Governor Greg Abbott’s latest COVID-19 update, restaurants are among the businesses that will open back up (at 25% capacity during Phase 1) on Friday, May 1, 2020. But as we all continue safe social distancing practices, many continue to offer ways for you to “dine out” at home, offering some mighty fine takeout and delivery options. With our Dining “Out” at Home series, we’ll cover some of the best to-go options in town, from the juicy burgers that hold up in transit to restaurants bringing happy hour to you.
Speaking of juicy burgers, this takeout list rocks burgers from the classic to the decadent. Need more burger inspiration? Check out our Houston 2020: Today’s Best Burgers list for more.
5 Must Try Takeout Burgers
- Cherry Block Craft Butcher and Kitchen in Downtown – This Bravery Chef Hall stunner from chef/partner Jess DeSham Timmons and rancher/partner Felix Florez gets its beef straight from the source: Florez’s Black Hill Ranch. During the stay-at-home orders, the chef hall has been operating as a ghost kitchen for its vendors and a few other Houston eateries, offering a marketplace and takeout available for both curbside pickup and delivery. It will continue to do so for the time being (in addition to opening its outdoor seating area as of Friday, May 1), and that means you can still get Cherry Block Craft Butcher’s stellar housemade burgers by ordering takeout online. Get the CB Burger with local beef, cheese sauce, demi, and lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle; or try the Bacon Mushroom Burger with bacon, wild mushroom, and gouda. Both come with tallow fries. Daily 11am to 9pm.
- FM Kitchen & Bar in Washington Corridor – FM’s signature shack-style burger is available by the Snack Pack (includes choice of fries/tots and a Montucky Cold Snack), or in the Burger Pack for 2/4 (with fries/tots and slice of carrot cake). Served on a potato bun with American cheese, LTO, and the “shh” secret sauce, it’s a solid choice that you can customize with add-ons from bacon and avocado to caramelized onions and a fried egg. Order ‘em online or call 832-804-6006 for curbside pick-up (delivery available via Favor, Uber Eats, Doordash, and Grubhub). Daily 11:30am to 8:30pm.
- The Hay Merchant/Georgia James in Montrose – Miss the Cease & Desist burger from The Hay Merchant? Us too. Good thing you can get the double burger, double cheese, infinity delicious burger, complete with house pickles and local tomato, from Underbelly Hospitality’s takeout menu. You can order online and pick up the goodness at Georgia James. We should mention it comes with tots, too. Daily 11am to 6pm.
- La Lucha/Superica in the Heights – La Lucha’s Classic H-Town Pharmacy Burger is available for curbside pickup through sibling establishment, Superica. The cheeseburger really is classic. Wrapped in yellow paper and greasy in a good way, it’s a juicy, fatty, cheesy treat finished simply with pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato and a mustard smear. Orders can be placed online. Monday to Thursday 4:30pm to 8:30pm; Friday & Saturday 11:30am to 9pm; Sunday 11:30am to 8:30pm.
- Squable in the Heights – A cascade of raclette cheese isn’t the only thing that makes this burger special. The incredibly tasty, perfectly seasoned stout beef patty, a dollop of maître d’ butter, and co-chef Drew Gimma’s beautiful pain de mie bun. The heaven-sent combination comes with fries for $15. Orders can be placed online or by calling 832-834-7362 (phones are open one hour prior to opening); You’ll confirm your vehicle style and color and a team member will bring your order to the car). Tuesday to Saturday 4pm to 9pm; Sunday noon to 6pm.