Protect yourself and others by wearing a mask made by Houston-based artists or order online from national suppliers.
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the CDC has recommended that we wear cloth coverings when out in public.
We’ve compiled a list of locals as well as a few online stores that are selling masks with colorful patterns, different sizes, and even in bulk.
Readers should note, some of the lightweight masks we’ve included, though designed mainly for dust and elemental protection, are thought to be an improvement over no mask at all.
You may find that these are a good fit for runners as well as for taking advantage of popular trails and running paths during your stay at home time.
Protective Masks From Local Artists & Suppliers
- Sam & Davy – The local apparel shop sells shirts, hats, crew neck sweaters and more for the man or woman that wants to express their love for Houston and the state of Texas. The HTOWN mask is $12 and helps to keep Houston safe in a socially responsible way.
- Gin Martini Designs – The eclectic designer, Gin Martini, has been sewing masks with patterns including floral, animals, and popular cartoon characters. She is also donating a mask to a hospital for every mask you purchase. You can contact her directly via Instagram, @ginmartinidesigns_, or find her masks at Fat Cat Creamery in the Heights. Masks at Fat Cat Creamery are selling fast, so we recommend calling before heading over there. Prices vary.
- Mothership Masks by Michelle Madsen Getz – Pre-order a Mothership face mask and pick it up at Southside Espresso in Montrose. $8 for any size mask, $1 for the filters. Filter sales will be donated to Legacy Clinic. You can call Southside Espresso or message directly through Instagram.
- APDAT Print Co – This Printing company out of Houston has launched a Face Mask Fundraiser for Houston. They will be donate a mask for every mask purchased. $25 for a no-sew face mask; $10 for a pleated mask.
- Live Local – The Woodlands-based supplier is offering a dark gray, “Support Local” unisex mask, with net proceeds pledged to support restaurants and businesses in Montgomery and Harris counties. Masks are $9.95.
- 3DPPE – Based in Southeast Houston, the 3D manufacturing firm has applied its facilities to manufacture medical grade PPE and filtered face masks for the public. Face makes come with a fish bone-style clasp that holds the straps behind the head to prevent stress on ears that can come with elastic ear-only straps. $8.95 plus shipping.
- KYRA UNFLTD – Local artist Kemi Alao offers designer masks on her online boutique. The handmade face masks are made with non-woven polypropylene interlining for efficient filtration and maximum breathability. Prices range from $17 to $20.
Boutique Masks from National Suppliers
- Blade and Blue – The San Francisco-based men’s clothing firm offers an assortment of stylish men’s masks suitable for any social distancing man about town. You can request a specific print when placing your order, but it cannot be guaranteed. However, you will receive one of the available patterns. Popular hamburger and pink banana prints are available at the same price for direct order. Masks come with a replaceable filter for added protection.
- Sub Zero Masks – Order a filtered mask that features two layers of filter media, sewn into the middle of the mask: a carbon filter for odors, some ozone and VOC’s; and highly efficient class particle filter. The LA-based mask company offers face masks with alternative patterns like flames, skeletons, and even glow in the dark. Masks start at $19 and take 7 to 10 days to ship.
- USA Sewn Masks – When you purchase a mask from USA Sewn Masks, profits go to Flexport.org, which gets supplies to frontline health care workers combating COVID-19. Multiple sizes are available and there a pouch for a filter. There are different prints to choose from including a banana pattern and otters and they are $24 each. Shipping takes up to 3 days.
- Sanctuary Clothing – The fashion-forward company is selling 5-packs of PPE face masks with stylish prints like camo, leopard print, and more. Sizes are available for children, women, and men. With your purchase of a mask, they will be providing masks to organizations in need. 5-packs are $28 for adults; $25 for children.
Bulk Face Masks for Businesses & Schools
- Wholesale Hemp & CBD Providers – Save and buy bulk cloth face masks in a variety of styles and fabrics, along with bulk hand sanitizer and bulk disinfectant wipes. Adult and youth sizes available. Ships within two to three days. Masks are $2.99 to $7.95 per mask, with a minimum order of 12 masks, and special options for 1,000 masks or more.
More Options on Amazon
- Jointown – This 50-pack of face masks are three-ply, with a melt-blown polypropylene filtration layer. Currently in stock and available for $38 per pack.
- Self Pro – This two-in-one performance sweatband face mask by Self Pro is designed to protect you from dust, aerosols, and other elements. Currently in stock and available for $14.45 per 2 pack.