Find your next literary adventure with online offerings, book pick-ups and at-home delivery from local bookstores around Houston.
Whether you’ve turned the final page on your current read, you’re looking to start a new reading habit, or you’re itching to learn about a new topic, local bookstores are still offering shelf after shelf of reading material available for pick-up and delivery.
Though public storefronts are closed, you can still ring up these local shops for spot-on book recommendations, or place your next book order while supporting these Houston-area bookstores.
Read on for our selection of local book sellers and ways to keep reading online.
Online Book Checkout at Houston Public Library
Houston Public Library (HPL) has a robust collection of online resources that are still expanding today. Sign into your library account (using your HPL card number and pin) and start browsing e-books, e-audiobooks, streaming music and videos, online learning, online tutoring and much more.
Don’t have an account but want to dig into what HPL has to offer? Head over to the Get a MY Link Card page and sign up for free, so long as you’re a Texas resident (non-Texas residents can still receive a card by paying for a one-year membership). Fill out the form and receive instant access to HPL’s online resources.
Local Houston Bookstores
Please note that these stores are open for pick-up and online orders only. No in-store shopping is permitted. Store operation and online availability are subject to change.
- Murder By The Book | Rice Village – The longtime Rice Village mainstay since 1980 offers more than 25,000 new and used mystery novels, magazines and more. Browse their online store and place an order by ringing them up Monday through Saturday from 11am to 3pm, or send a message to email@example.com and they’ll process and ship as they receive it.
- Kaboom Books | The Heights – The floor-to-ceiling book-brimming local shop is offering pick-up orders available at their doorstep. The extensive shelves within are packed with uncommon, rare and hidden gem titles that can be yours by simply ringing them up and letting the incredibly knowledgeable minds of store owners John and Dee sort out recommendations based on what you like to read.
- Blue Willow Bookshop | Memorial – On the west side of Houston, this local bookshop has been in operation since 1973 (originally as Musabelle’s Books) and is still offering outdoor pick-up, as well as online orders, gift cards, audiobooks through Libro.fm, or a simple recommendation that can be had by giving them a call.
- Half Price Books | Montrose & Kirkwood – The beloved budget bookstore from Texas is still open online and via phone, fulfilling orders that can be shipped to your door. Check out their extensive collection of new and used books, movies and television shows, music, gifts and more.
- Bedrock City Comic Company | Multiple Locations – If you’re looking to add a splash of color to your reading schedule, then browse one of Houston’s best comic book stores where you can find online deals on comics, graphic novels, board games, toys and much more.
- Katy Budget Books | Katy – The local bookseller has been busy building customer grab bags of surprise novels, as well as personally assembling book and activity bundles based on ages, interests, and budgets for your family. Send them a DM on social media platforms, or an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your recommendations rolling.