Last updated: Monday, March 23, 2020
Log-in and show up to these family-friendly virtual events taking place through April 2020.
With school out and the kiddos at home, Houston’s museums, educators and others are bringing educational fun to you with live virtual events, DIY workshops, storytimes and more.
We’ve compiled a running list of live events that are on the horizon through April 2020, and will be regularly updating the upcoming calendar as we find more, so be sure to check back.
To be clear, these events are strictly online only, so please do not show up at the museums and institutions for the specified event.
Can’t make it at the specified time? We also have a regularly updated resource guide for things you can do with kids anytime, at home.
Family-Friendly Virtual Events
- Children’s Museum Houston presents O Wow Moment of the Day on Facebook Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Tuesday, March 31 | FREE – Mr. O’s “O Wow Moments” help you to become a scientist at home with hands-on, minds-on experiments and demonstrations. 10:15am.
- Houston Zoo Live Series on Facebook Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Friday, March 27 | FREE – Educators and Zookeepers give virtual tours of the Zoo and get up-close and personal with many of the Zoo’s residents. The event will be held live online on the Houston Zoo’s Facebook page. 11am.
- Children’s Museum Houston presents Virtual Storytime (English) on Facebook Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Tuesday, March 31 | FREE – Join the Children’s Museum Houston for storytime in English from your home. The event will be held live online on the Children’s Museum Houston Facebook page. 11:15am.
- Children’s Museum Houston presents Educator Moment on Facebook Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Tuesday, March 31 | FREE – The museums’ educators take you inside the galleries and share fun stuff for you to do at home. 12:15pm.
- Brazos Bookstore presents Live Streamed Storytime on Facebook Live | Tuesday, March 24, Thursday, March 26, and Saturday, March 28 | FREE – Storytime is a (typically) Saturday morning tradition at Brazos, perfect for ages 2 to 9. There will be a rotating cast of great readers/performers to read both classic and contemporary picture books. The event will be held live online on the Brazos Bookstore Facebook page. 12:30pm each day.
- Children’s Museum Houston presents Virtual Storytime (Bilingual) on Instagram Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Tuesday, March 31 | FREE – Join Children’s Museum Houston for a virtual storytime from your home in Spanish and English. The event will be held live online on the Children’s Museum Houston Instagram page. No in-person attendance. 1:15pm.
- KHOU11’s David Paul’s Weather Classroom on Facebook Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Friday, March 27 | FREE – Ask questions, take notes, and learn things about the weather with KHOU11’s David Paul. Each day will feature a different weather-related theme. 2pm each day.
- Children’s Museum Houston presents Virtual Workshop: 3D Modeling an Animal Cell | Tuesday, March 24 – Work with museum educators Jacob and Alleigh to learn all about the different parts of an animal cell, while using the browser-based digital design software TinkerCAD to create your own model of an animal cell. This workshop is great for ages 8 and older. You must register for this event. Workshops are limited to a maximum of 25 participants. 2pm to 3pm.
- Children’s Museum Houston presents Toddler Time on YouTube Live | Tuesday, March 24 to Tuesday, March 31 | FREE – Join the Children’s Museum Houston daily for great activities that you can do with your toddler at home. 3:30pm each day.
- Discovery Green presents Mad Science on Facebook Live | Wednesday, March 25 | FREE – Mad Science gives an online-only demonstration of three experiments for kids to try at home. Items you’ll want to have on hand: A clear container (glass jar, plastic bottle), spoon, corn syrup, detergent, water, alcohol, small objects that float, cornstarch, a bowl, dish soap, paper towels, and a spoon. 11:30am.
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft presents Virtual Programming | Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from Wednesday, March 25 to Friday, April 17 | FREE – Get creative with HCCC on Facebook and Instagram Live and enjoy fun art-making activities you can do at home. 1pm.
- Houston SPCA presents Cori and Critters on Facebook Live | Wednesday, March 25 and Friday, March 27 | FREE – Join Cori Beach, the Youth and Humane Education Program Manager from Houston SPCA, for a brief lesson about protecting animals and activities to inspire and keep your kids busy. 3:15pm.
- Virtual Music Fest hosted by CAMH’s Teen Council | Thursday, March 26 | FREE – Join CAMH’s Teen Council for this one-night-only live music event that showcases the talent of young Houston musicians on Facebook Live. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.