Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
One of Houston’s six historic wards, the Third Ward is a culturally rich, historically African-American neighborhood that houses Texas Southern University, The University of Houston, and Emancipation Park, a 10-acre park commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. The dynamic neighborhood boasts a mix of old and new, striving to reenergize without losing its cultural importance to the community. Check out these awesome things to do in the neighborhood, then pop into one of its watering holes to unwind.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the Greater Third Ward is defined by the area represented in this map.
The Best Bars in the Greater Third Ward
- The Address – Hit hookah on the patio, pop in for steak night, catch a game on the TV, share shrimp sliders and lamb chops, sip martinis, and dance to live DJ music at this fun sports bar and lounge. Click here for directions.
- Club 3710 – You’ll find live jazz musicians, singer/songwriters, soulful artists, and even comedians taking the stage at this jazz and blues club; and there’s drink specials, bottle service, and VIP sections, too. Click here for directions.
- Dbar – Located off Emancipation Avenue, this Third Ward bar and lounge rocks DJs, drink specials, hookah, food on the patio, steak nights, Houston watch parties, Saturday night dance parties, Sunday Fundays, comedy nights and more. Click here for directions.
- Groove’s of Houston – “Drunken Karaoke,” late-night happy hour, live music and DJs, and pop-up jazz and comedy shows are just some of the fun things going down at this grandiose nightclub, restaurant, and bar. Hit the dancefloor, dig into bourbon wings and Cajun boudin balls, and quench your thirst at the bar. Click here for directions.
- The Spot – This tiny, laidback Third Ward spot hosts homecoming and game watch parties, live DJs and dancing, happy hour specials and theme nights, and food trucks and vendors on weekends. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options in the Greater Third Ward
Hit up Almeda hotspots like Unwine, Cafe 4212, and Martini Bar and Cigar; watch the games at Live Oak Lounge & Grill and hit the dancefloor at Dreams Bar and Lounge; check out the best bars near the University of Houston, including on-campus hotspots The Den and Extra Credit Rooftop Bar (formerly Calhoun’s), and Texas Southern University; and pop by the bars in neighboring hoods like EaDo, the East End, Midtown, and the Museum District.