In our Where to Work Out series, we search Greater Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods and communities for the best fitness studios for cardio, strength training, yoga and more.
While the Upper Kirby area is booming with hot restaurants, bars, and shopping, it’s also home to tons of great places to work up a sweat. Whether you’re looking for an exclusive, high-end facility with luxury perks, or a boutique-style spot that’s beginner-friendly, there’s something in the neighborhood for you.
Where to Work Out in Upper Kirby & Near River Oaks
Not sure where to start? We did the research so you don’t have to. Read on for a list of our favorite places to exercise in Upper Kirby and near River Oaks.
- Lagree HTX – At Lagree HTX, you’ll work your core, endurance, cardio, balance, strength, and flexibility, all while using one multi-functional machine: the Lagree Megaformer. If that’s not enough to get you in the door, maybe a list of celebrity Megaformer enthusiasts will do the trick—Meghan Markle, Sofía Vergara, Jennifer Aniston, and Alex Rodriguez are all fans of the popular workout. Click here for directions.
- H.I.P. Fitness – Have your legs ever felt like jelly after a really tough workout? If not, experience the sensation first-hand with a 45-minute Megaformer pilates class at H.I.P. (high-intensity pilates) Fitness. Using the Lagree method, instructors lead you through a challenging, full-body workout that tones and lengthens every muscle with resistance-based exercises on the versatile machine. Click here for directions.
Spin Studios & HIIT
- Ryde – Next to the historic River Oaks Theatre is Ryde, a chic and spacious spin studio that quickly gained popularity after opening its doors in 2015. They’ve got it all: engaging instructors, amped-up playlists, and—the icing on the cake—ice-cold eucalyptus towels to reward riders for a job well done. Click here for directions.
- Revolution Studio – Houston’s own Revolution Studio offers the fitness trifecta: spin, strength training, and yoga. With locations in Uptown, Sugar Land, and Upper Kirby, Revolution empowers their clients with a connected community, uplifting music selections, and coaches that motivate you to give your all, no matter the class. Click here for directions.
- Soul Cycle – Get lost in the music at the nationwide beast of a spin studio, SoulCycle. Known for their rhythm-based rides, candle-lit studios, motivational instructors, and powerful playlists, SoulCycle is a great place to see whether indoor cycling is right for you. But watch out—you just might get hooked. Click here for directions.
- OrangeTheory Fitness – Competitive fitness junkies take note: OrangeTheory is addictive. Why? For starters, they have you wear a fitness tracker that tells your heart rate, calories burned, and number of “splat points” (aka amount of time you’ve shown a high heart rate) throughout the class—the perfect distraction and/or motivation, depending on your personality type. Second, the studios keep you guessing with an always-new combination of HIIT on the treadmill, rowing, and strength training. Click here for directions.
Gyms & Personal Training
- Starting Strength Houston – Interested in weight-lifting, but not sure where to start? Enter these guys. At Starting Strength Houston, educated trainers will help you safely and efficiently improve your strength, health, and athletic performance by eliminating the guesswork, telling you exactly what to do and when to do it. Click here for directions.
- The Preserve – If you prefer your fitness facility to look more like a gorgeous atrium filled with greenery and floor-to-ceiling windows, head straight to The Preserve. This exclusive space only accepts a limited number of lucky members, but once you’re in, you gain access to some of the city’s best trainers, top-notch equipment, a 25-meter pool, an outdoor yoga deck, and tons of fun group exercise classes—all in one big, beautiful space. Click here for directions.
- Equinox – At Equinox, no stone is left unturned. Aside from offering their members personal training, unlimited group classes, a full-service spa, childcare services, and an onsite shop with clothing and accessories, they go the extra mile with Kiehl’s hair and body products, designated personal locker rentals, filtered water stations, and cold eucalyptus towels. Click here for directions.
- Avenu Fitness & Lifestyle – The folks at Avenu Fitness & Lifestyle take coaching seriously. Before your first workout, they’ll meet with you to discuss your fitness goals, then give you a personalized recommendation for how to reach them. Their plans include quarterly assessments with a quick and effective training method called In30, paired with a realistic meal plan for a well-rounded fitness approach. Click here for directions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).