In our Where to Brunch series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best brunch offerings. Originally published in 2017, we are now refreshing, updating, and adding to this series, including new neighborhoods and destinations.
Just 50 or so miles from Downtown Houston, this 21-mile and 20,000-acre lake lies on the West Fork of the San Jacinto River in Montgomery and Walker Counties. With picturesque shores and wooded areas that include a portion of the Sam Houston National Forest, the Lake Conroe area is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. You’ll probably work up quite the appetite—good thing there are also plenty of places to brunch.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the area around Lake Conroe includes the cities of Conroe, Montgomery, and Willis.
Where to Brunch near Lake Conroe
- 105 Cafe – Fresh, scratch-made breakfast-stuffs are offered seven days a week at this local diner. Get your fill of morning joe and dig into migas and smoked salmon scrambles, from-the-griddle buttermilk pancakes and Belgian waffles, omelets stuffed with organic spinach and feta or all the makings of a Philly cheesesteak, and fan-favorite breakfast skillets, featuring everything from corned beef and caramelized onions to Gulf shrimp and Hollandaise. Click here for directions.
- Cozy Grape Wine Bar & Bistro – Over in Downtown Montgomery, this cozy bistro offers a classy Sunday brunch. Nosh on crab cake and ham & eggs benedict, savory mushroom and spinach crepes, egg-topped enchiladas, and Tuscan omelets smothered in sun-dried tomato cream sauce. Tack on sparkling mimosas for good measure. Sunday 11am to 3pm. Click here for directions.
- The Red Brick Tavern – Nestled in Conroe’s historic downtown, this tavern rocks a Sunday brunch complete with cotija-topped chilaquiles, fried egg BLTs, country-fried chicken and waffles, and good ol’ Bloody Marys. Sunday 10am to 2pm. Click here for directions.
- The Toasted Yolk Café – This local hotspot has a burgeoning empire, with locations in Conroe, Houston, Woodlands, Sugar Land and more. Breakfast is serious business here, with offerings including churro-style donuts, pork chops and eggs your way, morning burritos, and the toasted yolk (a griddled sourdough egg-in-hole that started it all). Daily 7am to 3pm. Click here for directions.
- Walden on Lake Conroe – This yacht club is open to the public, offering a stellar Sunday brunch complete with a crepe station and views of the lake. Sunday 10am to 2pm. Click here for directions.
More Great Brunch Options near Lake Conroe
Get all-day breakfast at The Whistle Stop Café; hit the Sunday breakfast buffet at El Bosque Mexican Grill; stop for a Nutella latte and slice of cake at BeanPunk Coffee; smash sloppy brunch burgers and double bloody marys at Wolfie’s; get Southern-style home cookin’ at the Fish Pond Restaurant in Willis; enjoy waterfront dining at Monty’s Lighthouse Cajun Bar & Grill (which replaced the former Sam’s Boat on Lake Conroe); bring your boat to Papa’s on the Lake and enjoy the views at Pelican’s Cove Restaurant & Bar; sip Breakfast Stout and hit up the food trucks in the beer garden at B-52 Brewing Co. or check out the taproom and outdoor market at Southern Star.