Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Nestled among Live Oaks in the heart of Downtown, the eco-friendly twelve acres of Discovery Green has redefined the city’s landscape. Not surprisingly, the walkable blocks along the beautiful urban park—which feature the refreshed entertainment district, Avenida Houston, and both the Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park—are tickled with local treasures, including bars and nightlife opportunities.
The Best Bars Near Discovery Green & Avenida Houston in Downtown
- Bayou & Bottle – Located in the Four Seasons, this handsome bourbon bar rocks a Topgolf Swing Suite and a stock of over 160 bourbons and whiskeys. Sip from vintage barware, try a whiskey flight, catch the game, take a swing at the Topgolf simulator, and store your favorite bottles in a bourbon locker. Click here for directions.
- Biggio’s Sports Bar – Named after Astros legend and Hall of Famer Craig Biggio and set in the beautiful Marriott Marquis overlooking Discovery Green, this spacious multi-level sports bar wows the crowd with multiple flat-screens, two 30-foot-tall high def screens, leather recliners, local craft beer, and a winning lineup of pub grub. Click here for directions.
- The Dirt Bar – The after-party goes well into the night at this gritty rock n’ roll dive, which sits across from the House of Blues and plays a mix of rock and metal. Better yet, the bar is open from 6pm to 2am every day, even on Christmas. Click here for directions.
- Flying Saucer Draught Emporium – Beer nerds will want to hop over to Main Street and Capitol, where they’ll find this bustling draught emporium with one of the largest beer selections in the city. Join the UFO club to become an official Flying Saucer BeerKnurd and work your way through 200 beers (on multiple trips, obviously) to earn a commemorative saucer on the wall. Click here for directions.
- Reserve 101 – One of Houston’s finest whiskey bars, from bar vet Mike Raymond, is only a few blocks from Discovery Green. Sip expertly crafted cocktails, drink straight pours of whiskeys from all over the globe, and look out for fun tastings. Click here for directions.
- The Rustic – Behind the Toyota Center, this massive country bar and restaurant is home to live music, yard games, and Southern-style food and drink. Sip drinks like the tequila-soaked Pineapple Smoke, sweet Texas Peach, and the honey-kissed Whiskey River; and nosh on chorizo empanadas, hot chicken sandwiches, and brisket tacos. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options Near Discovery Green & the Convention Center in Downtown
Catch a live show at House of Blues; take late-night Jell-O shots at Sunny’s; hang on the balcony at BirdDog Saint; linger over cocktails at Bar Bardot in Hotel Alessandra and wine at Cueva in the Marriott Marquis; listen to live jams over craft beers and harissa wings at MKT Bar; hit Home Plate Bar & Grill and HTX Fan Tavern after the ball game; take the short walk over to EaDo to check out bars like Miss Carousel, Neil’s Bahr, and Truck Yard; and explore more of Downtown by checking out the rockstar lineup of bars near Market Square Park.