Our My Top 5 series highlights Houston entrepreneurs, leaders, and influencers, and shares their own favorite things to do in the city when they’re not hard at work. This week we’re very pleased to feature Wes Simon, founder and owner of OAK Fitness in the Washington Heights. Stop by for a free workout and signup for a free trial personal training session.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Wes Simon
- Biking Around Houston – My favorite thing to do around Houston is riding my bike around town, especially along Buffalo Bayou, through Downtown to Discovery Green, and in the Heights. It’s a great way to see the city, away from the daily grind. It’s also a great idea to get outside for a workout, especially on the paths at Buffalo Bayou Park.
- Top Golf – Another thing I really love to do in Houston is taking my kids, family, or friends to Top Golf. I enjoy group activities that incorporate both fun and getting a workout in. A tip would be to go before noon because it’s cheaper.
- Disc Golf – My favorite disc golf park is at T.C. Jester Park up in the Heights. It’s very scenic with 21 baskets to play. You can take your kids and/or your dog with you.
- Museum District & Hermann Park – I have two kids who love to explore the Museum of Natural Science. My favorite is the dinosaur exhibit and Burke Baker Planetarium. After the museum, we’ll walk over to Hermann Park and run up and down the hills.
- Dining Out at Local Foods in the Heights & Laredo Taqueria off Washington – My ultimate favorite places in Houston are these two restaurants. I love the authentic Mexican taste of the breakfast tacos at Laredo and the healthy freshness of Local Foods.
About Wes Simon
A personal trainer since the age 16, Wes Simon opened OAK Fitness with his wife Laura and good friends Marc and Melissa in January 2020. A small local business, it’s been growing with the help of loyal clients, close friends, and other small local businesses such as Total Nutrition, East End Barber, Spotless Carwash, Royal Collision, EuroCar Werk, and FM Kitchen and Bar. Wes believes that—by prioritizing integrity, cleanliness, teamwork, perseverance and community—OAK Fitness can create a family vibe where everyone is helping each other out. “The key to great customer service is being a genuinely good person towards everyone,” he added. Houston residents are invited to stop by OAK Fitness to try it out for free and/or try out a free personal training session.