Happening This Week
Also in February 2020
Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, February 24 to Sunday, March 1, 2020.
Kick off the 2020 rodeo season with the HLSR Bar-B-Que Contest, see the Houston Ballet’s take on a classic fairytale, hear from renowned journalist Ann Curry, celebrate Texas Independence Day, cheer on the Houston Dynamo and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Fefu and Her Friends at MATCH | Thursday, February 27 to Sunday, March 1 – Presented by Catastrophic Theatre, Fefu and Her Friends is set in the 1930s and follows a group of eight friends as they meet in the home of their eccentric friend, Fefu. Tickets are pay-what-you-can. Showtimes vary.
- The Sleeping Beauty at the Wortham Theater Center | Thursday, February 27 through Sunday, March 1 – Take a seat for the Houston Ballet’s new adaptation of the classic fairytale, The Sleeping Beauty, on the stage of Wortham Theater Center. The dazzling production features Tchaikovsky’s score paired with mesmerizing choreography and beautiful costumes. Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Women in Journalism: Ann Curry at Asia Society Texas Center | Thursday, February 27 – Hear from acclaimed journalist Ann Curry, who for nearly 25 years worked for NBC News, when she speaks about women in the media at Asia Society Texas Center’s special series. Tickets are $50 for non-members; $35 for members. 6pm.
- HLSR’s World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG Park | Thursday, February 27 to Saturday, February 29 – Kick off the rodeo festivities at one of its biggest events as more than 250 teams come together to compete in the World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest in NRG Park. Tickets cost $20; $5 for ages 3 to 12. Times vary.
- 20th Annual College Classic at Minute Maid Park | Friday, February 28 to Sunday, March 1 – Cheer on your team in the 20th annual College Classic at Minute Maid Park, where SEC teams go up against teams from the Big 12. Throughout the weekend, LSU, Arkansas and Missouri will take on Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor. Single day tickets include three games and range from $20 to $35; three day passes range from $42 to $75 ,but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 11am to 10:30pm each day.
- Dog Day: Yorkie Day at the Races at Sam Houston Race Park | Saturday, February 29 – Sam Houston Race Park hosts Dog Day at the Park, featuring Yorkie races and a doggy fashion show. Bring your pup for a fun day at the track and watch the pups strut their stuff in the Winner’s Circle. All breeds are welcome to register for the fashion show. General admission is $8. First post is 6:45pm and the first dog race will be at 7:20pm. Gates open at 5:15pm.
- Texas Independence Day Celebration at Washington on the Brazos | Saturday, February 29 and Sunday, March 1 | FREE – Celebrate Texas’ independence with a two-day festival at Washington on the Brazos State Historical Site. They’ll have live music and entertainment, plus living historians who will present highlights of the historic 1836 convention. Times vary.
- Houston Outlaws: Overwatch League at Revention Music Center | Saturday, February 29 and Sunday, March 1 – Root for Houston’s own professional e-sports team, the Outlaws, when they play in an Overwatch competition against teams from Boston, Paris, London, New York and more. Tickets range from $90 to $240 and are good for all weekend, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Times vary.
- Opera in the Heights presents Kassandra and The Leader at Lambert Hall | Saturday, February 29 – Spend Saturday night at Lambert Hall, where Opera in the Heights presents two world premieres, Kassandra and The Leader, performed as a double-bill for two nights only. Tickets range from $29 to $89; discounts are available for seniors ages 65 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Dynamo vs. LA Galaxy at BBVA Stadium | Saturday, February 29 – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play the LA Galaxy in their home opener at BBVA Stadium. Tickets start at $24, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 2:30pm.
- Houston BrunchFest at Midtown Park | Sunday, March 1 – Chow down on all of your favorite brunch bites from local restaurants, plus bottomless mimosas and live entertainment, all available during Houston BrunchFest at Midtown Park. Tickets start at $49. 1pm to 4pm.
- Los Angeles Azules at Smart Financial Centre | Sunday, March 1 – Get down to a live concert by Los Ángeles Azules during their “Todos Somos Cumbia U.S. Tour 2020” at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets range from $59.50 to $249.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).