In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
While Rice Village is not exactly a neighborhood, but rather a mixed-use district, it is often treated as one along with the neighboring community of West University Place (aka West U). The beautiful, tree-lined area appeals to both the young and the young at heart, with plenty of shopping, entertainment, and most importantly, happy hour opportunities for all.
Note: For the purposes of this list, Rice Village and West University are defined as the area bound by 610 to the west, Greenbriar to the east, Bissonnet to the north, and Holcombe to the south.
Where to Happy Hour in Rice Village & West U
- benjy’s – This Rice Village hotspot is known for its killer social hour. Hit the lounge and enjoy $3 to $3.50 craft brews, $5 to $8 wines by the glass (with bottles as low as $20), and a selection of $6 craft cocktails, from guava margaritas to French 75s. Sip them alongside happy hour eats like chili butter oysters, caramelized brussels sprouts, and cheeseburgers topped with porkbelly, “fancy” cheese, and Funyun aioli. Tuesday through Saturday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Punk’s Simple Southern Food – Enjoy a happy hour with Southern charm at this soulful modern spot. Sit at the bar and unwind with $2 off specialty cocktails, $5 frozen margs and sangrias, and $6 wines alongside elevated pub grub—including pickle chips, sweet corn hushpuppies, and chicken biscuits. Tuesday through Thursday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Little Woodrow’s – Happy hour and daily specials run every day at this fan-favorite patio and fun-loving sports bar. Hit the 3-4-5 happy hour to get $3 domestics, $4 wells, and $5 select calls, and find daily specials including Tuesdays’s Big Ass Beers, Wednesday’s Beer Can Chicken, and Sunday’s Draft Mania. Weekdays 3pm to 7pm (2pm on Friday and all-day Thursday), plus daily happy hour specials. Click here for directions.
- Simone on Sunset – Hit this artsy treasure for daily specials including Monday’s $10 gourmet burger night, Tuesday’s $5 sangrias, Wednesday’s $10 pizza night, and Thursday’s steak night, with $22 bacon-wrapped filets and $20 ribeyes; plus happy hour specials like $6 wines by the glass, $21 house bottles, and $1 off select beers. Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm; Saturday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Sixty Vines – Hit the “tappy hour” in the bar area at this California wine country-inspired spot and you can quench your thirst with half-off Vine Huggers wines and beers. While you’re at it, nosh on $5 bar bites from short rib sliders to smoked peach bruschetta. Monday through Friday 3pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Upstairs – Perched in the oak trees lining Rice Boulevard on the second floor of Hungry’s, Upstairs bar and lounge offers a blissful escape. Sip on $4 Texas drafts, $5 select wines, and $6 cocktails—think frozé, grapefruit spritz, and the “just beet it,” a drink made with Cimarron tequila, beet, lemon, and ginger. Happy hour bites run $8 to $9 and include things like crab cake bites, sriracha wings, and margherita pizza. And be sure to look out for daily specials like Taco Tuesdays and UnWINEd Wednesday. Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
More Great Happy Hour Options in Rice Village & West University
Sip cheap cocktails and get daily specials at Under the Volcano; unwind with craft brews and games in the yard at The Ginger Man; check out steak night at Kelvin Highlander; hit the $5 happy hour at Hopdoddy Burger Bar; and drink up at Bar Politan in the Politan Row food hall.