Happening This Week
Also in February 2020
Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, February 17 to Sunday, February 23, 2020.
Root for the Coogs in a game against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes, jam out at the Rex Orange County concert, chow down on gumbo while you bid on fun prizes, screen a film about people living with disabilities, catch a hilarious comedy show and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- ReelAbilities: Houston Film Festival | Daily | FREE – Hosted at Edwards Greenway Grand Palace Stadium 24, this year’s ReelAbilities film festival features 16 films dedicated to celebrating the lives, stories, and talents of people with disabilities. Stick around after each show to explore the themes of the film with the filmmaker, parents, professionals, or persons with disabilities. The screenings are free to attend, but you must reserve tickets. Times vary.
- Once On This Island at Theatre Under the Stars | Tuesday, February 18 to Sunday, February 23 – The 2018 Tony Award winner for Best Revival of a Musical, Once On This Island, heads on a North American Tour with a stop at Houston’s TUTS. Tickets start at $40, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Natalie Friedman at Houston Improv | Wednesday, February 19 – Laugh out loud at actress and comic Natalie Friedman’s hilarious celebrity impressions as she takes the stage of Houston Improv. Tickets range from $25 to $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Houston Cougars vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricanes at Fertitta Center | Wednesday, February 19 – Cheer on the Coogs as take the field to play Tulsa at Fertitta Center. Tickets range from $30 to $125, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Comedian Hari Kondabolu at The Secret Group | Friday, February 21 – Catch one of two performances by stand-up comedian, actor, writer, and filmmaker Hari Kondabolu who brings his commentary on American politics, culture, and race to The Secret Group. Tickets start at $20. 7pm and 9pm.
- Banda MS 2020 in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22 – Dance along to songs like “Por Mí No Te Detengas” and “Tu Postura” when Banda MS takes the stage of Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $55, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm both evenings.
- Houstonia 7th Annual Gumbo Smackdown | Saturday, February 22 – Chow down on loads of spicy gumbo when Houstonia Magazine returns to Sugar Land Town Square for its seventh annual Gumbo Smackdown. Festival-goers can enjoy bottomless drinks, entertainment, plenty of food, and an awards ceremony to announce the People’s and Judges’ Choice trophies. $40 for adults 21 and up; $20 for ages 13 to 20; free for ages 12 and under. Noon to 4pm.
- f.r.e.s.h. Young Professionals’ Mardi Gras Gumbo Cook Off & Silent Auction at Wicklow Heights | Saturday, February 22 – Come hungry to the Houston Food Bank’s f.r.e.s.h Young Professionals 5th Annual Gumbo Cook Off & Silent Auction. Local teams compete by cooking up a celebratory Mardi Gras dish while raising funds for the Houston Food Bank. General admission advance tickets start at $25; team registration is $75. 2pm to 5pm.
- 6th Annual Mardi Gras on Main Street in La Porte | Saturday, February 22 | No Cover – Get ready to party at the 6th Annual Mardi Gras on Main Street celebration in La Porte. Festivities include live music, a craft beer garden, food trucks, kids entertainment, a Mardi Gras market, and an umbrella parade. 4pm to 9pm.
- Opera in the Heights presents Yeltsin in Texas at Lambert Hall | Saturday, February 22 – Take a seat for Evan Mack and Joshua McGuire’s hilarious story of Yeltsin in Texas, presented by Opera in the Heights at Lambert Hall. Tickets range from $29 to $89. Discounts are available for seniors ages 65 and up. 7:30pm.
- Rex Orange County in Concert: The Pony Tour at Revention Music Center | Saturday, February 22 – Dance to the music of English recording artist Rex Orange County when he brings his “Pony Tour” to Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $61, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Opera in the Heights presents Kassandra and The Leader at Lambert Hall | Sunday, February 23 – Spend Sunday evening at Lambert Hall, where Opera in the Heights presents two world premieres, Kassandra and The Leader, performed as a double-bill for two nights only. Catch the second showing on Saturday, February 29. Tickets range from $29 to $89. Discounts are available for seniors ages 65 and up. 2pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).