Let the good times roll all week with our top 9 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, February 17 to Sunday, February 23, 2020.
Top 9 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
Happening This Week
Also in February 2020
- Sensory Friendly Day at Children’s Museum of Houston | Monday, February 17 – Visit the Children’s Museum of Houston and enjoy it with dimmed lights, limited extra sounds, and no distracting motions. Extra signage is added to help visitors determine things not to climb on and on entrances between exhibits where it is good to stop and wait for an adult before continuing. This Sensory Friendly Day offers a wonderful relief from extra stimuli. Tickets are $5. 10am to 3pm.
- Round Up your checkout to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Houston & Galveston at McDonald’s | Monday, February 17 to Sunday, February 23 – Donate to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Houston and Galveston by rounding your checkout up to the nearest whole dollar during your next visit to McDonald’s. McDonald’s restaurants across Greater Houston are making it easier for customers to donate to Ronald McDonald House Charities, an organization that provides resources to improve the health and well-being of children.
- Wags and Tales at Barbara Bush Library in Spring | Wednesday, February 19 | FREE – Calling all beginning readers to the Barbara Bush Library branch for a reading session with the dogs of The Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs, Inc. The pups are the perfect audience for new or struggling readers by providing a safe space to build confidence in their literacy skills. No judgement, just love. Free tickets will be offered 15 minutes prior to the event; 20 total tickets will be distributed. Children must be present to receive a ticket. Each session will last 10 minutes and it is free to read. 4:30pm to 5:30pm.
- The 109th Celebration of Mardi Gras Galveston | Friday, February 21 to Sunday, February 23 – Over three million beads will be thrown at Texas’ largest Mardi Gras celebration, with the lineup of festivities including elaborate parades, headliner performances and concerts, balcony parties, masked balls, an official 5K run, family events, and plenty of feasting. There are plenty of family-friendly options that are sure to appeal to all age ranges. Times and prices for events vary.
- Friday Night Live at Evelyn’s Park in Bellaire | Friday, February 21 | FREE – Spend Friday night enjoying live music from local artists, food, drinks and fun at Evelyn’s Park. 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Houstonia Gumbo Smackdown at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, February 22 – Load up on gumbo at the annual Gumbo Smackdown, back for its seventh year with live music, endless drinks, yard games, and a whole lotta gumbo at Sugar Land Town Square. Tickets for early birds start at $35 and the food and drinks are included in the ticket price; $20 for ages 13 to 20; free for ages 12 and under. Noon to 4pm.
- 2020 Mardi Gras Festival and Parade at Town Center Park | Saturday, February 22 | FREE – Make your way to Town Center Park in Kingwood for their annual Mardi Gras Festival and Parade. There will be live Zydeco music, a kids zone, craft vendors, and food trucks. Noon to 6pm.
- 6th Annual Mardi Gras on Main in La Porte | Saturday, February 22 | FREE – Make your way to the 6th Annual Mardi Gras on Main, a free, family-friendly street festival at Main Street in La Porte. Kick off the festival by taking part in the march to Mardi Gras known as the Umbrella Parade, where everyone is encouraged to decorate an umbrella and join in on the fun with the Second Line. The kids will enjoy stilt walkers, face painters, a New Orleans-style market, street performers and more. 4pm to 9pm.
- Sunday Family Zone at Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | Sunday, February 23 – Families can come together for a day filled with a variety of games, activities, and coloring in the galleries of MFAH. Sunday Family Zone focuses on different works of art, artists, and exhibitions. Recommended for ages 3 and up. Entry is included with general museum admission; MFAH members and ages 12 and younger always receive free general admission. Join one of two storybook circles at 1:30pm or 3pm. Event starts at 1pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).