In our Where to Work Out series, we search Greater Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods and communities for the best fitness studios for cardio, strength training, yoga and more.
Houston’s headquarters for shopping and high-end restaurants sits just outside the loop, but that’s not all you’ll find in the Galleria and Uptown neighborhood. A diverse selection of awesome fitness studios also dot the area—and we’ve filtered them down to the best of the best.
For the purposes of this list, the Galleria and Uptown area is bound by South Voss to the west, I-610 to the east, Woodway to the north and Southwest Fwy to the south.
Where to Work Out in the Galleria & Uptown
Not sure where to start? We did the research so you don’t have to. Read on for a list of our favorite places to exercise in the Galleria & Uptown.
Yoga, Barre & Pilates
- Define Body & Mind – Barre, spin, hammock yoga, stretching, trampoline and more are all available at this Houston-based fitness franchise that aims to help clients live their best, healthiest life. Known for quality instruction and well-rounded offerings, Define also has a line of healthy foods and juices with hands-on workshops throughout the year. Click here for directions.
- The Good Space Pilates – Strengthen your muscles through pilates, then lengthen them through yoga at The Good Space, which offers both forms of exercise (including reformer) in their intimate, soothing space. Classes are on the smaller size, with five to 15 people, so that certified instructors can devote their full attention to your proper form and progress. Click here for directions.
- Pure Barre – Tighten, lift, and tone your whole body with small movements that drive big results at Pure Barre. With four different class types, Pure Barre offers a beginners class, classic barre classes, barre fused with HIIT, and a strength training class that employs extra props for resistance work. Click here for directions.
- YogaWorks – This nationwide yoga company prioritizes inclusivity, offering classes suited for yogis of all ages and experience levels. And since opening their first studio in 1987, they’ve championed thoughtful teaching practices with plenty of modifications and advancements to do just that. Click here for directions.
- SoulCycle – Get lost in the music at the nationwide beast of a spin studio, SoulCycle. Known for their rhythm-based rides, candle-lit studios, motivational instructors, and powerful playlists, SoulCycle is a great place to see whether indoor cycling is right for you. But watch out—you just might get hooked. Click here for directions.
- Revolution Studio – Houston’s own Revolution Studio offers the fitness trifecta: spin, strength training, and yoga. With locations in Uptown, Sugar Land, and Upper Kirby, Revolution empowers their clients with a connected community, uplifting music selections, and coaches that motivate you to give your all, no matter the class. Click here for directions.
HIIT, Boxing & More
- 9Round Fitness – Can you set aside 30 minutes to work toward your fitness goals? That’s all it takes to fit in a workout at 9Round, an innovative kickboxing gym that divides their workouts into nine circuits (think push ups, punching bags, jump ropes, abs and more). Make your way through all nine rounds for a full-body sweat session that’ll get you results. Click here for directions.
- OrangeTheory Fitness – Competitive fitness junkies take note: Orangetheory is addictive. Why? For starters, they have you wear a fitness tracker that tells your heart rate, calories burned, and number of “splat points” (aka amount of time you’ve shown a high heart rate) throughout the class—the perfect distraction and/or motivation, depending on your personality type. Second, the studios keep you guessing with an always-new combination of HIIT on the treadmill, rowing, and strength training. Click here for directions.
- Empower Fitness Lab – Spin, yoga, and HIIT are all available under one roof at Empower Fitness Lab, which has two locations throughout the city. Empower’s motivating trainers will lead you through a small-group class that feels personalized, always varying exercises to keep you on your toes. Click here for directions.
- Breathe Moore Training – Strengthen your body and your mind with Breathe Moore Training’s holistic approach to exercise. They’ll help you reach your fitness goals through cardio, strength, and boxing workouts using updated equipment (including a 3D body analysis scanner) paired with one-on-one support from their talented trainers. Click here for directions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).