Love is in the air this month, and so are the aromas of these tasty food and drink events in Houston during February 2020.
Also in February 2020
Top 15 Events This Month
Happening This Week
Top Things to Do This Week
This month kicks off with events from Galveston Restaurant Week to Saint Arnold Brewery’s annual Super Beef Sunday event; then the fun continues with the return of a fan-favorite Saint Patrick’s Day Irish Stew Cook-Off and the annual Gumbo Smackdown. There’s also the perfect way to gear up for the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo…with barbecue, of course. Here’s everything you need to eat and drink this month.
Top 12 Food & Drink Events This Month: February 2020
- Galveston Restaurant Week | Saturday, January 25 through Sunday, February 9 – The 9th annual Galveston Restaurant Week brings the island’s vibrant food scene to life, with restaurants offering prix fixe lunch and/or dinner menus to raise money for Access Care of Coastal Texas, which provides weekly lunches for persons with HIV or AIDS. This year’s restaurant lineup includes Blake’s Bistro, Gaido’s, The Gumbo Diner, Hearsay, Nick’s Kitchen, Number 13, Shark Shack, Taquilo’s, Trattoria la Vigna and more. Times, prices, and locations vary.
- Super Beef Sunday at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, February 2 – Pregame for the Big Game by filling up on masterclass barbecue at Saint A’s 7th Annual Super Beef Sunday, a daytime event featuring smoked goods from the legendary Louie Mueller Barbecue alongside Reveille Barbecue Co. and JQ’s Tex Mex BBQ. Both the meats and the beers will be flowing, and Louie Mueller will also have its pre-wrapped whole brisket ($100) and beef ribs ($75) available for pre-purchase (deadline for ordering is January 31). Tickets (also sold in advance online) are $50 per person and include tastings from all three pitmasters, beer, and a commemorative pint glass. 11am to 2pm.
- Super Bowl Sunday Industry Potluck at Eight Row Flint | Sunday, February 2 | No Cover – The icehouse will host its 4th annual industry potluck on Super Bowl Sunday, as Agricole Hospitality cooks will come with all kinds of deliciousness to share. Bring a dish and join the party, which also features its full menu and beer specials. 4pm to midnight.
- CollaborEight Dinner Series at Tris | Monday, February 3 – Tris chef Austin Simmons and Italian chef Stefano Ferrero will collaborate on a special eight-course chef tasting dinner at Tris Woodlands. Tickets are $200 for the all-inclusive event, with wine and beer pairings, plus tax and gratuity. 6pm.
- 14th annual Rory Miggins Irish Music Festival & Stew Cook-Off at Lucky’s Pub | Saturday, February 8 – This Irish-kissed annual event will bring together cook-off teams to compete in a lineup of categories: Irish Coffee, Irish Dessert, Open Irish Dish, Chicken, Irish Stew, Chicken, and Chili. Tickets for guests to sample the variety of cuisine are available for a $10 entry fee at the door (children under 12 are free). All proceeds benefit the 61st Annual Houston St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Noon to 6pm.
- Monthly Wine Tasting at Rainbow Lodge | Wednesday, February 12 – Head to the beautiful grounds of Rainbow Lodge to enjoy a “sip and stroll” style themed wine tasting. Tickets are $38 and feature four wine tastes and four bites when booked online in advance; $40 cash day of. This month will feature wines of Mexico. 5:30pm to 7:30pm.
- The 109th Celebration of Mardi Gras! Galveston | Friday, February 14 through Tuesday, February 25 – Over 3 million beads will be thrown at Texas’ largest Mardi Gras celebration, with the lineup of festivities including elaborate parades, headliner performances and concerts, balcony parties and masked balls, an official 5K run, family events, and plenty of feasting. Tickets for general admission, party passes, and balcony tickets can be purchased online.
- Urban Harvest Fruit Tree Sale at Sawyer Yards | Saturday, February 15 | No Cover – Urban Harvest’s annual fruit sale offers an opportunity for gardeners of all skill levels to shop for more than 4,000 fruit trees and over 100 varieties, each acclimated to Houston’s climate and soil. 9am to 1pm.
- Tapas on the Trails at the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center | Saturday, February 15 – Support the Houston Arboretum while enjoying an evening of tapas paired with carefully chosen wine and beer. The special event features a romantic walk on its softly lit trails with four stops throughout the forest and commemorative glasses to take home. Tickets are $95 for non-members; $85 for members. 5pm to 9pm.
- Houstonia Gumbo Smackdown at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, February 22 – Load up on gumbo at the annual Gumbo Smackdown, back for its seventh year with live music, endless drinks, yard games, and a whole lotta gumbo. Guests can vote for their favorite gumbo and stick around to see who takes home the coveted People’s and Judges’ Choice trophies. Tickets for early birds start at $35 with food and drinks included; $20 for ages 13 to 20; free for kids 12 and under. Noon to 4pm.
- f.r.e.s.h. Young Professionals’ Mardi Gras Gumbo Cook Off & Silent Auction at Wicklow Heights | Saturday, February 22 – You’ll need to bring your beads and your appetite for the 5th Annual f.r.e.s.h. Gumbo Cook Off, where local teams will show off their culinary skills and craft a Mardi Gras favorite, gumbo, in support of the Houston Food Bank. Tickets for early birds are $25. 2pm to 5pm.
- HSLR’s World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG Park | Thursday, February 27 through Saturday, February 29 – Kick off the annual rodeo festivities with this three-day barbecue contest and festival. More than 250 bbq aficionado-led teams will compete to win the crown; and while most tents are invite-only, there are some great open-to-the-public venues, including The Garden, Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon, and the Chuck Wagon (the carnival is also open for wild rides and games). Tickets are $20; $5 for ages 3 to 12 and include one-day admission to the carnival, Saloon and Chicken Wagon; a complimentary bbq plate with sliced brisket, beans, and chips; and access to live music areas.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).