Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
Make the most of your week with our top 15 event picks happening in Houston from MLK Day, Monday, January 20 to Sunday, January 26, 2020.
Taste award-winning whiskeys while touring a prominent distillery, catch a concert by a Latin Grammy-winning violinist, stuff your face with tasty foods that all share one common ingredient, score free or discounted admission to several Galveston museums and historic sites, jam out to a live show by Dwight Yoakam and more.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- MLK Day Celebrations Around Houston | Monday, January 20 – Honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at several parades, marches, and other celebrations around the city. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- The Green Book at The Ensemble Theatre | Thursday, January 23 to Sunday, January 26 – Explore the story of a Holocaust survivor who unexpectedly shows up on the doorstep of an African-American family’s home during The Green Book at The Ensemble Theatre. Tickets start at $26. Showtimes vary.
- Dwight Yoakam in Concert at Arena Theatre | Thursday, January 23 – Jam out to country music by the legendary artist, and occasional actor, Dwight Yoakam, as he performs a selection of western favorites from his award-winning albums. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 9pm.
- Houston Grand Opera presents La Favorite at Wortham Theater Center | Friday, January 24 and Sunday, January 26 – Take a seat for Houston Grand Opera’s performance of La Favorite, a bel canto drama that tells of a classic love triangle, at Wortham Theater Center. Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Lunar New Year Festivals Around Houston | Saturday, January 25 – Celebrate Chinese New Year at a variety of festivities happening around the city to ring in the Year of the Rat. Prices, times and locations vary.
- WWE Worlds Collide at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 25 – Get ready to rumble as WWE NXT battle it out with NXT UK in WWE Worlds Collide at Toyota Center. Competitors include Adam Cole and The Undisputed Era, Shayna Baszler, Walter & Imperium, Kay Lee Ray and more. Tickets start at $20, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 5:30pm.
- Defending the Defenseless at Archway Gallery | Saturday, January 25 – FAUSA Houston and Love People Not Pixels present Defending the Defenseless, an evening dedicated to ending human trafficking in Houston. January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month. For the FBI, stopping human trafficking is a daily priority. Representatives from the FBI Human Trafficking Task Force will lead a discussion on ending Houston’s scourge. Tickets are $20. 6:45pm to 8:45pm.
- 5th Annual Whiskey in the Winter at Yellow Rose Distilling | Saturday, January 25 – Sip award-winning whiskeys while enjoying live music, savory bites, and tours of the Yellow Rose distillery during the 5th Annual Whiskey in the Winter fundraising event. Tickets start at $100; $75 for designated drivers. 7pm to 10pm.
- Trey Anastasio in Concert at House of Blues | Saturday, January 25 – Jam out to a live show by the celebrated guitarist, singer, songwriter, and composer, Trey Anastasio, when he takes the stage at House of Blues. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Galveston Museum Day | Saturday, January 25 – Enjoy free and discounted admission to historic landmarks and local museums across Galveston throughout Galveston Museum Day 2020. Prices and times vary by location.
- Venezuelan Folkways at MATCH | Saturday, January 25 – Bask in the sounds of the Latin Grammy-winning violinist, Eddy Marcano, when the Apollo Chamber Players present a concert of Venezuelan folk music at MATCH. Tickets are $35 in advance; $40 at the door; $10 for students with ID. 7:30pm.
- 9th Annual Galveston Restaurant Week | Starts Saturday, January 25 – Dine out for a cause in 25 of Galveston’s hottest eateries throughout Galveston Restaurant Week, a sixteen-day affair that benefits Access Care of Coastal Texas. Restaurants will feature two- and/or three-course dinners at special price points. Reservations are recommended for some restaurants. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- 13th Annual One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, January 26 – Compete—or just eat—at Saint Arnold’s thirteenth annual One Pot Showdown, which challenges participants to cook up their best recipe while incorporating Saint Arnold beer as an ingredient. Tickets include food samples of every dish and unlimited brews. Tickets are $40 and are known to sell out quickly. 1pm to 4pm.
- WWE Royal Rumble 2020 at Minute Maid Park | Sunday, January 26 – For the first time since 1989, the WWE Royal Rumble returns to Houston at Minute Maid Park. The competition features thirty wrestlers who duke it out until there’s only one contestant left. Tickets range from $20 to $700, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 5pm.
- Kinetic Ensemble presents Flight + Fugue: A Special Fifth Anniversary Concert at MATCH | Sunday, January 26 – Join Kinetic Ensemble to celebrate their fifth anniversary with an evening performance featuring the Houston premieres of Patrick Harlin’s “The Art of Flight” and Lawrence Dillon’s String Quartet No. 2, “Flight,” at MATCH. Tickets are $30; $20 for ages 62 and up; $15 with valid student I.D. 6pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).