Make the most of your week with our top 16 things to do with kids in Houston from Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 20 to Sunday, January 26, 2020.
Top 16 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
- 42nd Original MLK Day Parade in Downtown | MLK Day, Monday, January 20 | FREE – Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as the Black Heritage Society Organization presents the 42nd Original MLK Day Parade in Downtown. The parade will take place in the Downtown streets near City Hall, starting at Smith and Lamar. 10am to 12:30pm.
- MLK Day at Children’s Museum of Houston | MLK Day, Monday, January 20 – Listen to uplifting words by Gardere’s oratory speech winner, march down Kid’s Hall in celebration of civil rights, hear the “I Have a Dream” speech and more at the Children’s Museum’s 23rd Annual MLK Day Celebration. Other activities include a performance from the Providence Jazz Ensemble and a movie screening of Martin’s Big Words. $5. Noon.
- Theme Night at The Ice at Discovery Green | Tuesday, January 21 – Enjoy ice skating with a fun twist and be a part of the fun by dressing in costume at Theme Night at Discovery Green. At 7,716 square feet, The Ice clocks in as the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest. This Tuesday is Super Villains night. Those that dress the part get in for a discounted rate of $11 (including skate rental). 7pm to 9pm.
- Children’s Bingo at Levy Park | Wednesday, January 22 | FREE – Kids ages 4 to 12 can enjoy yelling “Bingo!” while they practice their letters and numbers and earn prizes. Levy Park will provide Bingo cards, markers, and prizes. 4:30pm.
- Lunar New Year WonderWeek at Children’s Museum of Houston | Thursday, January 23 to Sunday, January 26 – Families can head to the Children’s Museum of Houston and enjoy making full moon silhouettes, designing fire lanterns and more activities at the Lunar New Year WonderWeek. Included with general admission to the museum. 10am to 8pm.
- Houston Auto Show at NRG Center | Thursday, January 23 to Sunday, January 26 – Scope out the auto industry’s latest offerings at the 36th Houston Auto Show in NRG Center. More than 30 of the world’s top automakers will feature their latest models, allowing visitors to see, hear, touch, and even drive the cars themselves. Tickets are $14 for adults; $5 for kids. Times vary.
- Lunch with an Astronaut at Space Center Houston | Friday, January 24 and Saturday, January 25 – Spend time with a real-life NASA astronaut while enjoying a delicious lunch at Space Center Houston. Every weekend features a different astronaut. Tickets are $69.95; $35.95 for ages 4 to 11. Noon on both days.
- Galveston Museum Day 2020 | Saturday, January 25 and Sunday, January 26 – Spark your inner history buff with free and discounted admission to landmarks and local museums during Galveston Museum Day. For one weekend in January, museums and historical landmarks across Galveston Island invite the public to tour through the city’s rich history and arts scene, with free and discounted admission as part of Galveston Museum Day 2020. Enjoy “buy one, get one free” offers, discounts, free admission, or free tours as you explore popular destination landmarks. Times, prices, and locations vary.
- 2020 Lunar New Year Festival at the Chinese Community Center of Houston | Saturday, January 25 | FREE – Celebrate the Year of the Rat at the Chinese Community Center’s annual Lunar New Year Festival. The free, family-friendly event will showcase dragon and lion dances as well as local artists, businesses, food vendors, games, and cultural performances. 10am to 4pm.
- Chinese New Year at Lucky Land | Saturday, January 25 and Sunday, January 26 | FREE – Celebrate Chinese New Year 2020, the Year of the Rat, with live performances, shopping, a magic show, a dragon parade, food and more for the whole family at Lucky Land. 10am to 6pm.
- Texas Children’s Hospital Presents: Art in the Park at Evelyn’s Park | Saturday, January 25 | FREE – Bring the kids to a family-friendly art class as Texas Children’s Hospital presents Art in the Park at Evelyn’s Park in Bellaire. 10am to noon.
- Family Day: Lunar New Year 2020 at Asia Society Texas Center | Saturday, January 25 | FREE – Join Asia Society in welcoming the Year of the Rat with performances, art and craft activities, and food inspired by Lunar New Year traditions across Asia. RSVP is recommended. 11am to 4pm.
- Houston Dynamo Fan Fest at BBVA Stadium | Saturday, January 25 | FREE – Dynamo fans can get together and enjoy a number of exclusive Dynamo experiences ahead of the February 2020 season opener against the Los Angeles Galaxy. The Fan Fest will feature a Dynamo charity fire sale, photos with championship trophies, Dynamo players in attendance, and other family-friendly activities. Noon.
- WWE Worlds Collide at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 25 – On the eve of the Royal Rumble, up-and-coming wrestling stars from WWE’s NXT face their counterparts from across the pond at NXT UK. Tickets range from $20 to $300 but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 5:30pm.
- Monster Jam at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 25 – Watch Grave Digger, Monster Mutt and more in high-flying, eardrum-rattling action when Monster Jam’s gargantuan trucks take to the dirt at NRG Stadium. Tickets range from $15 to over $100, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Parking at NRG Park is $15 cash at the gate. 7pm.
- Friends of the Phoenix Lunar New Year Festival and Fried Rice Cookoff at The Phoenix | Sunday, January 26 – The third annual Lunar New Year Festival and Fried Rice Cook-Off welcomes the Year of the Rat with a competition for the best fried rice, including recipes from many international and ethnic backgrounds. There will be games, a money tree, kids’ activities and more. This charity event will raise money for the FOTP emergency fund and Education pillar. Tickets start at $10. Noon to 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).