Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 22 to Sunday, January 26, 2020.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
- ReelAbilities Film Festival: Illuminating Dyslexia: A Touch To See Art Exhibit at Evelyn Rubenstein JCC | FREE – The ReelAbilities Film Festival presents the opening reception of Illuminating Dyslexia: A Multi-Sensory Touch to See Art Exhibit featuring oil paintings and clay reliefs by Stephanie A. Skolik, M.D. at the Evelyn Rubenstein JCC. 6pm.
- HTXO Social at Buffalo Bayou Brewing | No Cover – Join HTXO and other people who share your love of the outdoors at their social at Buffalo Bayou Brewing. There will beer, wine, and a chance to sign up for HTXO. 6pm to 9pm.
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best jazz musicians in Houston. 7pm to 10pm.
- Machine Head in Concert at House of Blues – The heavy metal band from California, Machine Head, takes to touring for a celebration of the 25th anniversary of their debut studio album, Burn My Eyes. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Two Star Symphony in Concert at Under the Volcano – Catch a set from Houston’s own unique string ensemble, Two Star Symphony, at Under the Volcano in Rice Village. Cover charge at the door. 8pm
Thursday, January 23, 2020
- Cultured Cocktails benefiting FotoFest at Bar Boheme | No Cover – Grab a refreshing cocktail and learn about FotoFest’s mission and their upcoming FotoFest 2020 Fine Print Auction x Biennial at Bar Boheme. 10% of all drink sales will go to benefiting FotoFest. 5pm to 8pm.
- Sleeping with Sirens in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – After releasing How It Feels to Be Lost in September 2019, the post-hardcore band, Sleeping with Sirens, swings through White Oak Music Hall for a stop on “The Medicine Tour.” Tickets are $25; $30 day of the show. 6pm.
- January Mix and Mingle Mixology Class at Poitín Bar & Kitchen – At this 3-hour class, learn how to make your own delicious and unique cocktails at Poitín Bar & Kitchen. Tickets are $70 per person. 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
- 30 Rock Trivia at Cottonwood Houston | No Cover – Answer questions about Liz Lemon and the rest of the gang for Cottonwood’s 30 Rock trivia night. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
- CCSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show at CSz Arena – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $7 tickets are available. 8pm.
Friday, January 24, 2020
- Opening Reception: Radical Revisionists at Moody Center for the Arts at Rice University | FREE – The Moody Center presents the opening of Radical Revisionists: Contemporary African Artists Confronting Past and Present, an exhibition that addresses the violent erasure of marginalized histories and the ways in which artists reinterpret familiar themes through contemporary, Afrocentric lenses. 6pm to 8pm.
- Decades Collide: DJ Biz Markie at House of Blues – DJ Biz Markie spins the best of ’80s and ’90s Hip Hop and R&B at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $15, but you can score free admission if you RSVP in advance. 7pm.
- Buenos Amigos Beer Release at Eureka Heights Brew Co. | No Cover – Celebrate the release of Buenos Amigos beer with a night of Loteria and a lip sync battle of your favorite Selena song for prizes at Eureka Heights Brew Co. 7pm to 10pm.
- Name that Song! at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Test your knowledge of some of the most well-known sing-along songs of all time at Under the Radar Brewery. 7pm to 9:30pm.
- Robert Ellis in Concert at The Heights Theater – Houston’s own singer-songwriter, Robert Ellis, makes a stop in his hometown for a show at The Heights Theater. Jamie McDell opens the show. Tickets are $22. 8pm.
- Roddy Ricch in Concert at Spire Houston – The rapper, singer, and producer, Roddy Ricch, performs live at Spire nightclub in Downtown. Tickets are $40. 10pm.
Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Australia Day Party 2020 at Platypus Brewing | No Cover – Platypus Brewing hosts its annual family-friendly Australia Day Party with food specials, new beer releases, Aussie games and more. Noon to 11pm.
- Sound Clash with DJ Melodic at Tikila’s | No Cover – Hang at Tikila’s patio, enjoy a tiki cocktail, and vibe out to a mixture of ’80s, funk, soul, indie, and pop music from DJ Melodic. 3pm.
- 5th Annual Whiskey in the Winter at Yellow Rose Distilling – SoléAna Stables and Yellow Rose Distilling invite guests for an evening of award-winning whiskey, friends, and fundraising. The evening will include music, savory bites from Texas Biergarten, tours of the Yellow Rose distillery, and several whiskeys to enjoy. Tickets start at $100; $75 for designated drivers. 7pm to 10pm.
- Trey Anastasio in Concert at House of Blues – The mind behind legendary jam band Phish, Trey Anastasio recently released his tenth studio solo album, Ghosts of the Forest, and will swing through Downtown’s House of Blues in support. Tickets range from $49.50 to $89.50, but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Saved by the ’90s at House of Blues – Put on your acid wash jeans and neon shirts and dance to ’90s covers at the Saved by the ’90s party at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $15, but you can score free admission if you RSVP in advance. 8pm.
Sunday, January 26, 2020
- FOTP Lunar New Year Festival & Fried Rice Cook-Off at The Phoenix on Westheimer – The third annual Lunar New Year Festival and Fried Rice Cook-Off welcomes the Year of the Rat with a competition for the best fried rice, inspired by many international and ethnic backgrounds. There will be games, a money tree, kids’ activities and more. Tickets start at $10 for 6 sampling tickets; a VIP option for $25 offers 12 sampling tickets and 1 drink token; a $50 VVIP option comes with unlimited tastings, an FOTP t-shirt, and 18 voting tickets. Noon to 5pm.
- One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold Brewing Company – Whether you think you can use Saint Arnold beer and your secret ingredients to make a dish better than anybody else’s, or you just want to taste the dishes of people who think they can, Saint Arnold’s 13th annual One Pot Showdown is one event you won’t want to miss. Tickets are TBA. 1pm to 4pm.
- Kinetic Ensemble presents Flight + Fugue: A Special Fifth Anniversary Concert at MATCH – Kinetic Ensemble celebrates its fifth anniversary with a lively evening performance that features two Houston premieres; Patrick Harlin’s “The Art of Flight” and Lawrence Dillon’s String Quartet No. 2, “Flight.” There will be also be special appearances by Kinetic alumni, and a reception follows. 6pm.
- 2020 Pride Theme Unveiling Party at Buddy’s Houston | No Cover – Join Pride Houston at the LGBTQ-friendly bar, Buddy’s Houston, for an evening of inspirational speakers, delicious food, and the unveiling of the 2020 theme for Pride. There will also be some live entertainment and music. 7pm to 10pm.
- Sunday Night Fever at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts Sunday Night Fever with local DJs playing all-vinyl disco, house, dance, funk, and derivatives. There will also be drink specials on cocktails. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).