In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations. Originally published in 2017, we are now refreshing, updating, and adding to this series, including new neighborhoods and destinations.
The strip along Washington Avenue, stretching from Downtown through Memorial Park, has seen a revival in recent years. It’s now a jungle of mixed use developments, art studios, theaters, homes and apartment complexes, and plenty of excellent places to quench your thirst on the cheap.
Note: For purposes of this list, the Washington Corridor is defined by this map.
Where to Happy Hour in the Washington Corridor
- B&B Butchers & Restaurant – Hit B&B’s rooftop patio for views of Downtown and a “booze & bites social hour” with a trendy crowd. Nosh on charcuterie and cheese boards, mini beef Wellingtons and crab cakes, fried oyster and beef sliders, steakhouse bruschetta and thin-crust pizzas topped with things like buffalo chicken or calabrese salami. Collins, on-the-rocks and martini cocktails will run you $8 to $10, while craft bottles and cans are $5. Monday through Friday 3pm to 7pm. Be sure to check out “lemon hour” at sibling concept B.B. Lemon, as well. Click here for directions.
- The Classic – Over on the west side of Washington, this all-day upscale diner concept offers a “board meeting” happy hour, when you can build your own board with $3 to $8 eats from hot chicken bites and crispy Brussels sprouts to duck flatbread and raclette fries. Tack on classic Old Fashioneds, Limoncello Mules, and $4 happy hour drafts. Click here for directions.
- Julep – From bourbon baron Alba Huerta, this Southern-kissed charmer is one of the best cocktail bars in Houston, hands down. At happy hour, you’ll find $1 Gulf oysters (on Mondays, all oysters are $1 all day long) and a selection of half-price favorite cocktails, snacks, and wine bottles. Sip a classic Mint Julep or Vieux Carre while you nosh on boudin balls, spicy pepper pimento cheese, and, of course, oysters. Weekdays from open to 5:30pm. Click here for directions.
- Kung Fu Saloon – The fun doesn’t stop at this young-at-heart watering hole, which rocks vintage arcade games, ping-pong and Skee-Ball, private karaoke rooms, TVs for game day, and an outdoor patio, plus a eats from cheeseburger egg rolls and BBQ cheese fries to green chile patty melts and Nashville ninja hot wings. Hit happy hour to enjoy all of that, plus drinks specials like $5 wells, $3.50 domestics, and $1-off drafts. Click here for directions.
- Max’s Wine Dive – This fan-favorite haunt offers value pours, luxury pours, and $15 wines to-go during happy hour. Stop by to sip $6 Pinot Grigio, Prosecco, Rosé, and Pinot Noir while you nosh on eats from crispy deviled eggs and cheeseboards to chipotle honey chicken sliders. Monday through Friday open to 6:30pm. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options in the Washington Corridor
Fuel up with frozen margs at El Tiempo Cantina; check out Liberty Station’s seriously good craft tap selection; get daily happy hour specials at Porch Swing; enjoy picturesque views and take in the fresh air at the Blue Bar at Brenner’s on the Bayou and the new Buffalo Bayou Brewery; and swing into party-nightlife spots from the party-loving Clutch Bar to the laid-back Henderson Heights.